Quad mods—what’s been on Mike B.’s menu?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoneFission

Reaction score
I need to send in my Quad for a health check anyway, so I’m expecting to do the pre-call with Mike B. in which he often asks “what else” people want done. (This one is an earlier non-MIDI model with two reverb pans.)

I know most of the talk on the Quad is on the MkII channel and pushing it all the way to IIc+. What about the MkIII side?

A lot of the MkIII mods chase the IIc+ sound (more successfully than the feel). But if I have the MkII channel anyway, maybe do something else with it? Would ++ modding the channel be more of the same or different enough to complement? (Heard a recent YT III++ demo where the mod left some of the III crunchiness but somewhat paradoxically opened and smoothed the sound—might be a good companion for the MkII channel for a non-metal guy like me.) Any other ways to go?

Any other Quad mods to know about outside of the channel/gain stuff?

You can’t pay attention to eBay listings as a measure on market value. Only what they actually sold for. I got my quad less than a year ago off the GC used site for well under $1000. I wouldn’t mind getting the MKIII channel modded to mirror the 1st channel. That way I could set one for optimal dirty clean and one for the sweet heavy tone. I find CH 2, while good, not as pleasing to me for either tone as CH 1.

There is something weird about that listing. The bids jumped from 750 to 1666 in one bid alone. There’s just no way the true market value of these is over 1000. I would call this sale an anomaly...unless of course I want to trade mine at GC and I would point some salesperson directly at this listing LOL
I hope whoever bought it enjoys it having no rack ears as Boogie won’t have those anymore. I had a Studio Pre that didn’t have them and couldn’t find any 3rd party solution other than you would need to make or have them made custom. Also no footswitch pictured or described.

Here's a new listing, crazy - https://www.ebay.com/i/114286786420?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=114286786420&targetid=4580840327039639&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=301076556&mkgroupid=1235851265215130&rlsatarget=pla-4580840327039639&abcId=1129776&merchantid=51291&msclkid=9b93d3c73b191d9f332c8cc27d8cefef

https://reverb.com/item/34500064-mesa-boogie-quad-preamp-mark-iic-mark-iii-tone-eu-voltage

I called in too see how much it would be to have CH 2 be a clone of CH1 and unfortunately it was quite a bit. $500 or so just for the work. Labor intensive.

Bought a quad from a gentleman in Europe. The tubes were old so I replaced them with relatively "new" ones. JJ 12AX7 in first position and rest were TAD.
Sounds way better than with old tubes.

Anywho, curious about the mods. There are different stories out there about the Ch1 Lead already being a 2C+ even though the manual says otherwise.

There is this thread too about a Quad listed last year. Anyone have any ideas on how these mods are performed and who can do it?

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=83216

I have heard that the "++" mod can be done to the Studio Preamp, so I'd assume it could be done to channel 1 of the Quad.

Short of that, I think there is a "c+" mod that can be done to channel 1 of the Quad (it can and has been done to the Studio Preamp- several members here have it). I believe it changes some cap values to match those of the iic+. I don't know much about circuits, so I hope I'm describing it accurately.

Ch2/Mk3 has the ++mod already it is basically Ch1 with the Rhythm 2 Hardwired on.
The Rhythm 2 of the Mark 3 is the switchable ++mod of the C+.
The are a alot of resistor and cap changes to get it to C+ spec.
Ch1 is not a Mk2C it has the same layout as the C+ just different value resistors and caps in certain places, the same with Ch2

I just got my Quad back. Comparing it to the Mark V is not fair. There is no challenge. None. My Quad is unmodded madness, capable of shredding most amps as is. I love the difference in ch.1 & ch.2 where ch.2 is more grainy but still is awesome.

So you finally got your Quad back from the local tech and he ended up not doing anything to it? And you prefer it massively over the MKV?

Im planning on doing a bit of a shootout this weekend between my triaxis, quad, mkiii and recto... something has to go.

I just got my Quad back. Comparing it to the Mark V is not fair. There is no challenge. None. My Quad is unmodded madness, capable of shredding most amps as is. I love the difference in ch.1 & ch.2 where ch.2 is more grainy but still is awesome.
I got my V 90w two years ago and it's been my happy place. I got a Quad Preamp weeks ago and it is giving the V a run for its money. Waiting on my '90 50-50 to come back from Petaluma to pair w the quad forever. Running both amps together was just amazing tho.

Back