PLS HELP: Schematic for Mesa Recto Recording Preamp ??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airfish12

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I am not able to find a schematic for my Mesa Rectifier Recording Preamp anywhere, I tried the manufacturer, I tried Google - result: a whola lotta nada - and I really don´t know where else and how I could get it. And if not the whole schematic, then at least the part with/around the fx loop. I want to ask my tech to modify it from parallel to serial and the schematic would be a very helpful bonus.
Any ideas, please?
Thanx a lot in advance!

I will check later this afternoon and update this post if I have the schematic.

I have seen other's modify a rectifier head's parallel loop into series by just changing a few wires around; your tech may be able to do the same.

What configuration are you running that need your effects in the preamp's effects loop versus in between the preamp and the power amp?

JMMP said:
I will check later this afternoon and update this post if I have the schematic.

I have seen other's modify a rectifier head's parallel loop into series by just changing a few wires around; your tech may be able to do the same.

What configuration are you running that need your effects in the preamp's effects loop versus in between the preamp and the power amp?

Thank you!
The fx in my loop are in this sequence: 10-band equaliser (+/-12 dB) - 6-band equaliser (+/- 18 dB) - noise gate - chorus - delay - reverb. This configuration has worked perfectly in the serial fx loop of my previous preamp (Engl E530) - so I would like it to work equally good in my new Mesa (not really new, just recently bought, in fact it´s about 5 years old).
I have the preamp connected to a Marshall 20/20 stereo tube power amp.
Plus I have some more pedals in front of the preamp - a noise gate and some OD pedals....
Do you need any other info about my configuration?

Why not just run the EQ's, gate, chorus, delay, and reverb from the recto preamp's main output and the output of the reverb into your Marshall 20/20? That will accomplish the same thing as placing them in a serial effects loop, and not require modifying your preamp. This is how I run my rigs, where I could run the effects in the loop of my quad, but instead just run them between the quad and power amp.

JMMP said:
Why not just run the EQ's, gate, chorus, delay, and reverb from the recto preamp's main output and the output of the reverb into your Marshall 20/20? That will accomplish the same thing as placing them in a serial effects loop, and not require modifying your preamp. This is how I run my rigs, where I could run the effects in the loop of my quad, but instead just run them between the quad and power amp.

Maybe it´s worth giving it a thought.... I´ll also ask my tech what he thinks about such a sequence.... Don´t worry, he will not insist on the loop mod just to earn money, he is a honest guy.... ;)

I asked my tech about the fx, being connected between the preamp and power amp and he said it would not work on my preamp. Maybe it would work on some other preamps, but not on that particular Recording Recto that I have. Because meanwhile he found out, that after coming back to the return inputs the signal is amplified by one of the tubes to 0 dB level, or in other words 1.55 Volt - for the final main line outputs. And that is too much to go to the fx - the send output level is only 0.5 Volts, i.e. much less. And while I was searching my *** off and trying to turn every stone on the web to find the **** schematic, my tech started putting it on paper himself, slowly, step by step. And now he says he should be able to do the mod according to that. So I hope he succeeds. And if he does, god bless the *******! 8)

JMMP said:
For pedals, that may be true, but for line level effects (most rack units) the higher signal strength would be beneficial.

I do not have a schem for the recto pre. However, I do have a schem for converting a recto head's parallel loop to a serial loop, so maybe that will help.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22781737/Schems/SER_MOD.PDF

Pedals - that´s exactly my case - I have a rack pre and power amp, but I prefer individual pedals, somehow I never got attracted to rackmount fx units....

And thanks a lot for the schematic, I really appreciate it! I will forward it to my tech right now, so that he has it available in the morning - it´s 1:21 a.m. in my part of the world right now. ;)

Latest posts

Back