Fillmore 50 vs California Tweed

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesdude

Reaction score
I play in a rockin' blues band and play at venues that vary from small clubs to outside festivals. I currently use a 1971 Fender Deluxe Reverb and it does a pretty outstanding job. What I miss is the headroom that you get with say a Hot Rod Deluxe for example. (clean headroom for days).I'm selling a 1971 Fender Super and the proceeds are going toward a new amp. I am interested in the Fillmore 50 combo or the California Tweed head with the one 12" cabinet. I like a slightly overdriven clean tone and usually take it to the next level with pedals. I want the cleans to be in the ballpark of the Fender but maybe more sweeter? What are your experiences and recommendations? Thank You!

The Fillmore clean isn't gonna be anywhere near a Fender. Also, the clean channel doesn't have a lot of headroom if you want pristine cleans. I run it through a TC Electronics Spark for a clean boost. Makes a world of difference. I just sold a Fender Deluxe Reverb, and I don't miss it.

The Fillmore clean isn't gonna be anywhere near a Fender. Also, the clean channel doesn't have a lot of headroom if you want pristine cleans. I run it through a TC Electronics Spark for a clean boost. Makes a world of difference. I just sold a Fender Deluxe Reverb, and I don't miss it.
Not true. As the Fillmore 50 manual states, they have tuned the amp to be fender blackface on channel 1, with gain at 12 noon or below. They also talk about the tone stack, show optimal settings, the mid is dropped way out, and the treble and presence are also down below 12, with the bass at around 1. This gives a very nice sparkly, fender clean, 60's style. Gain on clean mode at 2-3 oclock, it turns into a 50's tweed amp, and the tone stack changes as well. You cannot use your knowledge of how other tone stacks work with boogies products, they do not function like other amps. If you try and dial it in like a fender or marshall, it will sound like crap. Ears, not eyes, don't worry where the knob is pointed, just change it until it sounds good to your ears. Boogie tone controls have limited relationship with other tone stacks. Gain levels totally change the tone stack in all settings.

I play in a rockin' blues band and play at venues that vary from small clubs to outside festivals. I currently use a 1971 Fender Deluxe Reverb and it does a pretty outstanding job. What I miss is the headroom that you get with say a Hot Rod Deluxe for example. (clean headroom for days).I'm selling a 1971 Fender Super and the proceeds are going toward a new amp. I am interested in the Fillmore 50 combo or the California Tweed head with the one 12" cabinet. I like a slightly overdriven clean tone and usually take it to the next level with pedals. I want the cleans to be in the ballpark of the Fender but maybe more sweeter? What are your experiences and recommendations? Thank You!

Would love to hear other opinions on this? I've got a California Tweed (40w) combo with the Jensen Blackbird speaker (lower wattage version) and it is one of my favorite all time amps. Super easy to dial in ... gorgeous cleans ... takes pedals well and sounds great at moderate volume levels.

I've got the Fillmore 50 head, so can comment on the combo, but the head is one of the most versatile 70's - 80's rock amps I've ever had.

Latest posts

Back