How to change speaker on Fillmore 25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremendo

Reaction score
I see 4 screws inside the cabinet, but I thought the front grill pops off. Any help before a force something I shouldn't? Thanks!

Looking at the pictures on Mesa's site it appears to be a rear mounted speaker. Remove the wires from the speaker, remove your tubes, remove the back panel, unscrew the nuts holding the speaker in, remove the speaker, then put your new speaker in and do the rest in reverse.

Most of the mesa combos I've had were rear mounting speakers, so there's no need to try and remove the grille.

Thanks. Good news, I got it. Bad news, ripped the cone in my new Neo Creamback I wanted to try.

It got complicated because to get the speaker out you had to remove the reverb tank because it's so tight. But you cannot directly remove the reverb tank with the speaker there unless you push the speaker up into the corner and squeeze the tank out as it's very tight. I 1/2" smaller tank would have been so much easier. The problem is when you slide the speaker to get the tank out, you can't have any of the screws from the front coming in or you could rip the cone. Either way, I have changed speakers on many amps including my old Mark III many times, and this was by far the tightest and most complicate attempt. It's back with the original speaker, never got to try the creamback Neo.

Mesa Fillmore 25: So I finally swapped the original C90 for the Celestion Neo Creamback today. I removed the amp chassis and it was way easier for this amp.

Sounds great clean, sound great with overdrive. So far love it, maybe even more than the original C90. Very smooth overdrive still, and that was my main concern. A slight boost in the hi's & upper mids, slightly adjusting the tone knobs corrected that.

The amp is noticeably lighter (from 35 lbs to 29 lbs I think). The only downside is with the 97db speaker, the volume seems a little bit lower (stock speaker is 100db). Either way, I'm storing the stock speaker in the box and the Neo Creamback is a keeper.

Latest posts

Back