Preamp tube recommendations for FM100

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogie Chillen

Reaction score
Tube aficionados, what would be a good selection of non-Mesa branded 12AX7 preamp tubes for V1 to V5 respectively? I play from sparkling clean to Hendrix and all things in between. Mainly blues, country/blues, contemporary country and rock.
I assume the Mesa branded ones in my amp are JJ's but I could be wrong. They sound fine but I'm looking to secure some replacements with improvements if possible. Besides, Mesa branded 12AX7 tubes are no longer available in Australia with nothing on the horizon in the near or possibly far future. I'm happy to mix and match brands to achieve the desired result in each position.
What would you choose, I have these to choose from,

https://amptubes.com.au/product-category/preamp-tubes/12ax7

https://www.thevalvestore.com.au/14-12ax7-ecc83-5751-7025?p=2

I received some feedback from Mesa Boogie on their Facebook page regarding the FM100 and preamp tube selection and position which may be helpful to others wanting to select the most appropriate tube for their Filllmore.

"You need not worry about "balanced" preamp tubes in our amps. Balanced Triodes may be beneficial in Hi-Fi style amplifiers where stages of an amplifier may need to be accurately matched for best performance but guitar amps are not Hi-Fi amps and guitarists do what the Hi-Fi crowd would think absurd (like drive their amps to clip) to create some really great magic. Balanced Triodes are not used in our amps or most any guitar amp. Having a Balanced Triode as the phase inverter in your amp certainly isn't going to hurt anything but we don't see any real benefit of using one or justification for the added cost, as it'll just work like any other preamp tube you put in the amp.
Position V2 is a Cathode follower in a Fillmore."

Anyway at this stage I've narrowed things down to a Sovtek 12ax7LPS for V3, a JJ 12ax7 83s that I already have is likely to get a tryout in V2 for now and either a Tung Sol 12ax7 or Gold Lion ECC83 standard pin for V1, I'll get both and stick with the one I like most, I'm sure the other will come in handy.

Back