Fillmore 50 combo speaker swap

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy Hiwatt

Reaction score
I recently swapped out the C90 for a Mesa Fillmore FM-75. No special reason, I like doing stuff like that. Also, I was wondering why wouldn't Mesa put the Fillmore speaker in the Fillmore amps?? My opinion later on that. So far, I have only used in the bedroom with my Grosh NOS Retro (strat). The low end sounds firmer, the high end smoother. Mids are great too. It is a very well balanced speaker. It is louder than the C90, due to higher sensitivity, 102 vs 99. That is the good news. The bad news? It weighs 2.4 lbs more than the C90. Now the 50 combo weighs in at 47.4 lbs. "Will Haul For Tone" comes to mind...lol. As lighter amps seems to be the popular direction lately, I believe Mesa didn't want to make the Fillmore combos any heavier than they had to be. Plus the FM-75s may cost more, who knows. I will take it to practice this week and will chime in afterwards.

I've wondered how the Fillmore speaker might sound in my Fillmore 25. I didn't know the speaker was that efficient and heavy.

I also have a Rectoverb 25 combo, and the Fillmore 75 came stock in that. It also is a bit on the heavy side, due to the speaker weight.
I would think the FM-75 would sound great in the Fillmore 25. I am happy with it in my 50 combo. Sometimes I plug in my 2x12 extension cab, using the 4 ohm speaker outs, it really sounds huge with even more clean headroom.

Back