stupid quesion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfnut

Reaction score
I have a fillmore 50 combo. I have a question concerning the cable that goes from the channel switching pedal that comes with the amp. Is that just a regular guitar cable? It looks like it to me but I want to be sure before I buy a second one. I want to have an extra one that I can leave in my studio and just keep the cable that came with the amp in my gig bag. And regardless if what type of cable it is I assume it doesn't need to be some high end cable. My cables that I keep in my studio are fairly high end but I'm thinking this channel switching pedal has no impact on tone in regards to quality of cable.

It's just a regular guitar cable. I use a short cheap one at home with my 25 with no degradation of sound or added noise.

Thank you. That is my plan, to use a shorter cheap one at home and keep the original in the gig bag for my gigs.

golfnut said:
I have a fillmore 50 combo. I have a question concerning the cable that goes from the channel switching pedal that comes with the amp. Is that just a regular guitar cable? It looks like it to me but I want to be sure before I buy a second one. I want to have an extra one that I can leave in my studio and just keep the cable that came with the amp in my gig bag. And regardless if what type of cable it is I assume it doesn't need to be some high end cable. My cables that I keep in my studio are fairly high end but I'm thinking this channel switching pedal has no impact on tone in regards to quality of cable.

I don't think it is just a regular guitar cable, written on the cable that came with my FM 100 for the footswitch it states HIGH PEFORMANCE 18AWG SPEAKER CABLE. Pretty sure you shouldn't use regular guitar cable for speaker cable or vice versa.
https://mixdownmag.com.au/features/sound-advice-speaker-vs-instrument-cables/

Boogie Chillen said:
I don't think it is just a regular guitar cable, written on the cable that came with my FM 100 for the footswitch it states HIGH PEFORMANCE 18AWG SPEAKER CABLE. Pretty sure you shouldn't use regular guitar cable for speaker cable or vice versa.

I can't see how it would affect anything to do with the tone or speaker. Its simply just to switch channels. I did end up buying a guitar cable and am currently using it on the mesa channel switching pedal. Seems like its fine.

golfnut said:
Boogie Chillen said:

I can't see how it would affect anything to do with the tone or speaker. Its simply just to switch channels. I did end up buying a guitar cable and am currently using it on the mesa channel switching pedal. Seems like its fine.

I can't see how it could cause damage if you aren't using instrument cable as speaker cable, surely there couldn't be a large amount of current running through a channel switch circuit but I don't know.
There would be good reason that Mesa use speaker cable and not instrument cable. They sell both, shielded and unshielded, and the models of amps used with each are listed on their website,
https://store.mesaboogie.com/categories/shop/hardware/cables-cords.html

Sorry!! I misspoke when I said it was a guitar cable! The footswitch cable on my Mark V 25 was shielded. The cable on the Fillmore 25 is not. I don't think it matters, though. I hope not- I've been using the shorter stereo musical instrument cable that I bought for my Mark V 25 with my Fillmore 25.

Don said:
Sorry!! I misspoke when I said it was a guitar cable! The footswitch cable on my Mark V 25 was shielded. The cable on the Fillmore 25 is not. I don't think it matters, though. I hope not- I've been using the shorter stereo musical instrument cable that I bought for my Mark V 25 with my Fillmore 25.

It may be worth asking them to find out why they use shielded for some and unshielded for others. If for nothing else but curiosity.

Back