Blue Angel OT confusion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natman

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I would really like someone to set me straight on the output transformer for my BA's.

The Manual simply states that 6V6 setting should be run on the 4-ohm jack(s). Is this assuming that the speaker load is 8 ohms?

This goes against everything I always understood about impedance. OT's usually have 3 taps but here we see 5 jacks.

Are the jacks just in parallel? It seems like the labelling might be off.

If I have a 16-ohm cabinet, do I move the plug to the 8 ohm jack?

So you can see my confusion...

Who here understands all this and can say for sure how to hook up multiple cabs/speakers? I own lots of speakers and a few cabs and I want to do some taste-testing but not at the expense of frying my RCA blackplates or the OT!

FWIW I ONLY use the 6V6 setting, EL84's never did it for me.

Thanks!!

A user in post 18 reports:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/mesa-blue-angel-or-deluxe-reverb.104233/

"I'm using it with the 8-ohm speaker driven from the 4-ohm output, as suggested by Mesa, to get the correct match with 6V6s. This sounds much better, to me. In fact, I like the clean tone on the other two settings like this as well, and since I don't really use those for overdrive, I leave it permanently set to 4 ohms."

Yes the manual seems pretty clear about it if you're running 2x6V6 but says it's optional.

"NOTE: It is preferable to use the 4 ohm speaker jack when the PROGRESSIVE LINKAGE switch is set to the 6V6 position. This will
reduce strain on the tubes thus prolonging their life as well as improving the response over a wide range of frequencies. It is not
mandatory...merely a suggestion, as the impedance loading is correct when this scheme is followed. This suggested match up
between tubes and speaker impedance will also produce the greatest amount of headroom and the most well balanced tone."

The description of the speaker jacks is also quite detailed:

"Two 8 ohm, two 4 ohm and one 16 ohm speaker jacks are provided. The BLUE ANGEL is not very
sensitive to speaker mismatches and will not be damaged by them, except that very low ohmage
loads will cause the power tubes to wear faster.
A single twelve-inch 8 ohm speaker should generally
be connected to the 8 ohm output. When using two 8 ohm speakers, connect them to the 4 ohm
jacks to insure proper impedance matching. Mesa/Boogie 4X12 and 4X10 cabinets come standard
wired to 8 ohms. They have four 8 ohm speakers wired in series-parallel. Some cabinets other than
Mesa/Boogie, may be 4, 8 or 16 ohms; To confirm how your cabinet may be wired and the impedance rating of your speakers, you may need to remove the back panel to verify this information in regards to proper speaker matching.
Feel free to experiment with the speaker jacks, trying different loads. Keep in mind the greatest clean headroom is always achieved
with proper impedance loads...i.e. an 8 ohm speaker connected to an 8 ohm jack. Always insure that a speaker load of some kind is
connected when using the amplifier"

Right, that's what I've found too.

Let me cut to the chase:

Could one plug a 8-ohm speaker into the 4 ohm jack and a 16-ohm speaker into the 8-ohm jack for proper loading of the OT when using just 6V6's?

Latest posts

Back