Has this happened to you?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyf

Reaction score
I have a nice Tremoverb combo, outfitted with JJ tubes. I am playing tonight and the tone is as usual, great. My Strat really sounds superb on the clean channel. I have had the amp on for about five minutes and there is a little pop and the amp sounds way distorted and lots of fuzzz... Something is wrong. So, i place the amp into the standby mode and back to active and now the sound is more or less ok, BUT the amp seems down on power and if i move it, there is this weird hissing noise. Looks like i will have to visit a tech, but am I right in guessing that a tube is giving up the ghost and yet is still hanging in there. OTOH, would a cap potentially show this kind of issue?

More than likley you have a preamp tube going bad. This video (which is more or less the same process Mesa describe in most of the user manuals) shows how to isolate a problem tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSl-l9aWDHw

Something you could try beforehand is just pulling out each tube individually (while the amp is off) and then plug and unplug them a few times. Sometimes you can have a slightly dirty conatct on a pin and runniing it in and out of the socket a couple of times can help clear any foregin material and also reshape pins a bit which can reseat the tube for better overall electrical conatct. Worth a try and it's free.

The general lifespan of the filter caps is around 20 years or so as far as I know. Reminds me I need to get my Rocket 44 checked out at some point.

Thanks, turned out to be a faulty rectifier tube. I replaced all of the power tubes and the rectifier tubes. These days, the Russian made tubes are expensive and not that easy to come by.
I also rolled in EL84‘s, but I much prefer the sound of the 6l6’s.

Latest posts

Back