Fifty/Fifty 50/50 Idle Sound Hum ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kale-salad

Reaction score
Hello all. Will do my best to explain and ask since this may be completely 100% normal for the 50/50 power amp. This one is from 1991, the original "Fifty/Fifty" with the F-F serial and 4x 6L6 and 3x 12AX7.

First off, it sounds KILLER. Love the sound.

When power and standby are on and the amp is live, there is a noise while it is idle. A hum/buzz/like a very low version of when you touch the end of your TS guitar cable.

I am only using input A and output A into an 8OHM cabinet. Because of that, Channel B volume is all the way at 0 same as Presence for B.

When I remove my preamp from the INPUT A, the idle hum/sound actually gets a tiny bit louder. This is not a deafening horrible sound, but since my cabinet is very close to me, it is audible over my keyboard typing and certainly a distraction. When the amp is put into standby, it is of course totally silent.

I have tried swapping the power tubes around, no difference. I removed all 3 12AX7 tubes and when it is powered fully with all of those 12AX7 removed it is completely silent (was expecting that). I added the first 12AX7 back, powered on, completely silent. When I added the SECOND 12AX7 tube, that is when the noise comes back. I swapped the tubes in every way possible, the noise is still there so I don't think it is a 12AX7 tube doing it?

Flipping the ground switch makes no difference. Hi or Lo power makes no difference. The Channel A volume is very low, it is by no means cranked. I even removed the power tubes from Channel B and also makes no difference. I have tried evrything i cn think of and have isloated the sound totally to the power amp itself. No preamp or effects or anything in the chain while trying to isolate - just the Channel A 8 ohm out into a 1x12 8ohm cabinet and a preamp connected to Input A (and also not connected to Input A).

TL:DR version - Is the Fifty/Fifty from 1991 known to be a bit noisy when "idle"? My Mark 5 25 head is TOTALLY quiet and makes zero hum or buzz.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back