New guy with Subway Rocket issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1neeto

Reaction score
First post! 8)

Early-mid 90’s Mesa/Boogie Subway Rocket 20 watt no reverb. A few weeks ago I bought a used Dr. Z Brake Lite attenuator. I can’t push this amp past 3 in my place without having an angry wife knocking at my door, and I wanted to drive those power tubes. Had it on max and set the volume at around 6-7 on the clean channel, distortion pedal, and ts on. Then all of a sudden I heard the volume taper off into nothing, just as if I flipped the standby switch. I panicked, and turned off the pedals and switched the standby on. Then turned the amp off for a few minutes, and tried again. But I noticed the volume was low, so I turn the attenuator to 0, but it wasn’t as loud as it’s supposed to be. Tone didn’t seem to be affected on both channels, so I was thinking it’s a power tube issue.

Now one thing I noticed today is how the tone got thin, like I lost a good amount of bass. So I start playing with the bass knob on the amp, and noticed that there’s no bass whether on 1 or 10. Treble, mid, and presence work. Now I’m thinking I have a pre amp tube issue? I don’t have any spare tubes that I can just swap around and experiment. And I don’t want to go and buy $150 worth of tubes and that not be the problem. I bought this amp used about a month ago, and all the tubes are Mesa, so maybe they’re factory tubes, since most people just buy JJ’s or EHX and call it a day. But who knows, I’ll probably get Mesa tubes.

Of course there’s a pic!
etWQumW.jpg

Gonna bring this back from the dead. Ended up sending it to an amp guy and he said there’s nothing wrong with it other than some cold solders he fixed for next to nothing. Another issue it has is with the fx loop. When you hit the delay the click of the pedal repeats with the delay. But the most weird thing is with other modulation pedals along with the delay. It develops this oscillating sound that grows in intensity until I shut off the effect. This only happens if I use modulation along with the delay.

But overall I still like the amp. It has tha Mesa Boogie high gain tone at extreme low volume. It truly is a little tone monster, I’ll never get rid of it.

Gonna bring this back from the dead. Ended up sending it to an amp guy and he said there’s nothing wrong with it other than some cold solders he fixed for next to nothing. Another issue it has is with the fx loop. When you hit the delay the click of the pedal repeats with the delay. But the most weird thing is with other modulation pedals along with the delay. It develops this oscillating sound that grows in intensity until I shut off the effect. This only happens if I use modulation along with the delay.

But overall I still like the amp. It has tha Mesa Boogie high gain tone at extreme low volume. It truly is a little tone monster, I’ll never get rid of it.
The parallel FX loops are touchy. The manual suggests running pedals or other FX 100% wet and then just mixing in the smallest amount with the FX mix return.

"for the best results...Set the mix of your effect to 100% wet. Then dial in the amount of effect that you wish to
hear, starting at 0% with the FX Loop Mix Control. The drier (closer to 0%) signal you use, the better your tone
should be. This parallel type FX Loop allows the amplifier to retain its purity with the smallest amount of
degredation due to possible effect impedance mismatching"

Latest posts

Back