Mesa Boogie Transformer Suppliers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbonesullivan

Reaction score
So, currently waiting on a Custom Color Mark V 90, and I've heard about all the various production delays due to Covid, and one BIG one is that the main company that Mesa was using for their transformers apparently closed with very little warning. Checking the transformers in my Royal Atlantic combo, I think I saw the EIA code 989, for Marvel Electronics, which I have also seen on Rivera Amplifier transformers. Marvel is part of the same company as Magnetic Components Inc. EIA code 166, who made the "Classic Tone" series of transformers for guitar amplifiers. All of these companies / brands are now defunct.

This of course means that Mesa had to find a new supplier, as well as get them to make the transformers to the specs they need. I have heard that Friedman, Soldano, and many other top companies are in the same boat.

Does anyone know who the new supplier is going to be?

It's a bummer about Magnetic Components. I used their Classic Tone transformers on a couple of amps that I built. Heyboer is great too- I've used them for a couple of builds. So is Mercury Magnetics, though they're expensive. I haven't used Hammond, but I think they're good too.

I see the codes for Marvel and Magnetic components on the iron in my Mark V:25.

Don said:
It's a bummer about Magnetic Components. I used their Classic Tone transformers on a couple of amps that I built. Heyboer is great too- I've used them for a couple of builds. So is Mercury Magnetics, though they're expensive. I haven't used Hammond, but I think they're good too.

I see the codes for Marvel and Magnetic components on the iron in my Mark V:25.
My Royal Atlantic looks to have 166 on the Power transformer and 989 on the choke. Can't see the output transformer without taking the chassis out. I believe the EIA codes were for the two different factories that Magnetic Components had.

I have heard that Mesa may be working with Schumacher now. I'm trying to find out from people who have gotten amps recently to see who the new supplier really is.

It really did cause a huge ripple with the custom amp and restoration people. The Classic Tone line was used all over, and when the stock that Mojotone and other suppliers have is gone, they're gone.

Back