Celestion Alnico Gold or Cream for a Blue Angel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monotone man

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got a used Blue Angel 1x12 with the stock Black Shadow c90 speaker. I'd like to upgrade and am debating between the Alnico Gold or the Cream. I've read many older posts saying the Gold sounds great with a Blue Angel, but I think those posts were written before the Cream came out.

I was all set to order the Gold 12 inch, but then I saw some comparison videos like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mTISUSb8T4

I like the sound of the Cream better than the Gold in almost all examples.

Any idea which one would sound better in a 1x12 Blue Angel? Gold or Cream? I mostly play rhythm guitar with a Gibson 335. Some BB King style leads. Classic rock/blues etc.I like to avoid ice pick highs at all costs. And I don't like high mids.

Thanks for any thoughts :)

It's hard to imagine a Gold sounding bad but they are quite expensive. My Blue Angel 2x10 originally had Jensens. Was the C90 really stock? Seems a bit overpowered for a Blue Angel, and that might be an issue with the Creamback as well. I think the Gold would be better matched based on the wattage, but I have to admit that I have no experience with either.

FWIW, I have a Weber 10A125F paired with a Weber 10F150P in mine, and they sound great.

I have a Blue Angel 2 x 10 (since 1996) I replaced the original speakers in about 2000 with a pair of Kendricks. About 6 months ago I put in a pair of Celestian Golds and the amp has never sounded better.

They aren’t completely broken in yet either as I play my BA through a Torpedo Captor-X so the speakers don’t get as much use as they aren’t getting a lot of energy all the time.

Now these are 10”s and you have a 12” so there’s that. The differences in speakers are subtle tho. These Celestions appear both louder and smoother than what they replaced. I bought 16 ohm versions (meter out at 13.7 ohms), so that the sum impedance would be ~8. I love this amp more than anything I have ever played. It’s held up well over the 25 years I’ve owned it. Never been to the shop. 2 sets of tubes over the years.

BTW, not sure what color Tolex yours is, but mines the original dark blue. While tone is everything - those
Gold speakers look incredible in the amp :)

About to recap it soon. The filter caps are way too old and I’m playing it at higher volumes now. And yes - I have almost no hiss since I put a Genelex Gold Lion AT7 in V2 :)

green_henry said:
It's hard to imagine a Gold sounding bad but they are quite expensive. My Blue Angel 2x10 originally had Jensens. Was the C90 really stock? Seems a bit overpowered for a Blue Angel, and that might be an issue with the Creamback as well. I think the Gold would be better matched based on the wattage, but I have to admit that I have no experience with either.

FWIW, I have a Weber 10A125F paired with a Weber 10F150P in mine, and they sound great.

Looks like the C90 was stock in the 1x12:
https://www.mesaboogie.com/support/out-of-production/blue-angel.html

Latest posts

Back