Mesa Boogie Mark V:35 head fx loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caasi

Reaction score
I've had a Mark V:35 head going into an oversized Mesa 2x12 for a couple years now, but I've recently struggled with a bit of FX loop noise. I have a Mr. Black Supermoon and a TC electronic Flashback 2 in the loop. They're plugged into a Voodo labs Pedal Power 2+. The hum (~180 Hz according to Logic Pro X) occurs with both pedals on/off and I've tried just having only one of the pedals in the loop at a time but the noise still happens. I also tried the 4 cable method with a Boss NS2 to see if it would kill the noise but it doesn't. The noise only goes away when the FX loop is entirely disengaged from the signal chain.

I can't recall if this head has a tube-buffered FX loop. Do I need to check preamp tubes? Or is there something else I can investigate?

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

I've had trouble with the VooDoo Pedal Power 2+ inducing noise into cables that were running right over it on top of the pedal board. It is especially noisy with the wah pedal (even though the wah is as far away as possible on the board). But, in troubleshooting I could move the patch cables which were close to the PP2+ and it would change the amount of hum/noise.

As part of your trouble shooting, you may try unplugging the PP2+ and using a couple wall warts to power the pedals (keeping everything in the same position) and see if that changes anything?

Edit: what is the 4 cable method of which you speak?

Thanks for the response!

No cables are running over top of my PP2+. I will try different cables and dedicated power supplies (plugged straight into the wall, no PP2+) to see if that makes a difference.

The 4-cable method I am talking about can be found here: https://rolandcorp.com.au/blog/how-to-use-boss-ns-2-noise-suppressor-in-your-rig

See the subsection titled "WHAT ABOUT EFFECTS?"

Latest posts

Back