Shopping for first Mesa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Garfield

Reaction score
After a long time off I'm getting back into guitars. My favorite guitar tone comes from a Mesa Mark III. I just found one in the store and the tone is incredible! But I'll be playing mostly at home so prefer a head w/ attenuator, and don't want to buy an amp that's in rough shape. I live on an island so options are limited! So I'm thinking maybe a Mark V 25 could be the right call.

It seems like the V:35 gives longer reverb springs, vintage cabclone tone, and obviously more power. Also bigger and heavier! Not sure I need the 35 and can put the extra cash toward a better cab clone maybe?

Mark V proper doesn't have the built-in attenuator, and I don't care for the option of switching to 'diodes' nor do I really need the 3rd channel.

Or I can get the MK III combo for ~$1000 and get an attenuator, and maybe get it serviced a little.

Actually I’m thinking the Mark III is the better decision. Hopefully the shop will work with me on the condition. Supposedly there’s a member here, from Maui, who’s a reputable Mesa mechanic. If he’s still around maybe I can pay him a visit. The Mk III is my dream amp and its local. Thinking about spending $1800 on an amp (Mk V-35) I can’t try feels wrong.

If you tried the III and love it, there are plenty of clean cabinets for sale that would be compatible.

Having had the JP-2C, V, V:25 and V:35, I can say that all of them want to run loud, so it doesn't matter if you get a lower-power version. Also, it is my strong opinion that the V:35 sounds WAY better than the V:25, in the same way that I think the JP-2C sounds better than the V. The V:35 also has cool additional features.

As for an attenuator, I have used several and the way I would recommend is to avoid the attenuator. Instead, use a good load box and speaker emulator (Like Torpedo Live, Suhr reactive IR, or the like), and decent small monitors. This will sound WAY better than an attenuator, allow for a wide variety of actual volume levels, be perfect for headphones and home recording, etc. I have moved to this method and it is the best sounding, most flexible of any solution I have used or heard of.

For example, it allows the amp and loadbox to be before reverb, delay, chorus, etc. This makes it very much studio-quality vs. putting time effects in the loop. With an inexpensive mixer it also allows for both guitar and prerecorded backing tracks through the monitors.

I run my Mark III into a Torpedo Live and then either my DAW or a Headrush FRFR12 and it works great. I have always found my mark III to be verrrry picky about cabs so having a lot of cab models on tap is really nice.

Back