Fillmore 50 combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mndgs59

Reaction score
Hello, I'm seriously considering buying a new Fillmore 50 combo amp. Have not gotten to a dealer to play one yet, but all my research says I'd probably like it.. I read many comments saying this amp is 'underpowered' for a 50 watt amp. Will this be an issue if used in a small venue ( small hall; club, etc. ) ? Can I expect it to have the essential 'guts' of most 50s ? My only reservation right now is the power issue. Any thoughts? Thanks, Rich :p

My 25 is definitely underpowered. That 50 should be fine. Is your band loud? I overcome this issue with an extension cab and a boost in the loop. I also dial in my clean a bit dirty, getting more volume out of the gain, say 1-2 o'clock, master the same.

Unless you need really loud cleans unmic’d in a large band (or if your drummer is an amateur-hour asshat who overplays a room) it’ll be fine. Folks have a tendency to label it as “underpowered” where I think the reality actually is it has so much more low and low-mid information it reduces the headroom comparatively. The other thing about them is the volume control has a very wide sweep on the lower side of things and doesn’t really “take-off” until somewhere between 1-2:00. So, I think, for a lot of fender users who are use to running out of headroom around 10-11:00 AND not have access to these lower frequencies it gives one the impression that it’s underpowered when, really, it isn’t.

Nurk3 said:
I think the reality actually is it has so much more low and low-mid information it reduces the headroom comparatively. The other thing about them is the volume control has a very wide sweep on the lower side of things and doesn’t really “take-off” until somewhere between 1-2:00. So, I think, for a lot of fender users who are use to running out of headroom around 10-11:00 AND not have access to these lower frequencies it gives one the impression that it’s underpowered when, really, it isn’t.

I completely agree with this assessment. I have a Fillmore 25 head and a 50 combo ... turn the master up to about 2 or 3:00, then get the gain up to 11 or 12 and it starts cooking. The gradual increase in the first half of the volume range is a bit of a wide sweep ... but it will crank if you break the Fender volume pot mindset.

Latest posts

Back