The Mark V is a Masterpiece

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlpasco

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a Mark V, make sure that:

A) your cabinet is on the floor, not on wheels.
B) disable your fx loop -or- activate solo and use the solo control to set your volume instead of the output control.
C) Enjoy all three channels as they were meant to be.

Here's a short cover I did of Smells Like Teen Spirit using the Mark V and a backing track https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1155152/smells%20like%20nirvana.m4a

dlpasco said:
Here's a short cover I did of Smells Like Teen Spirit using the Mark V and a backing track https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1155152/smells%20like%20nirvana.m4a
Sounds pretty good. Did you use Crunch and IV mode?

MrSmitty said:
dlpasco said:
Sounds pretty good. Did you use Crunch and IV mode?

Just clean and IIC+ mode. The single notes are using the neck pickup with the volume turned down. Distorted chords are the bridge pickup with the volume all the way up.

Recorded with a cab clone.

Nice. It sounded very good through my headphones.

It was my first time to listed to anything through CabClone.

Floor coupling continue to be a huge factor for me. I practiced last night after moving some gear around and noticed that the amp didn't sound as good as I remembered. Sure enough - the cab on the floor had gotten unplugged.

Changes everything on all three channels.

APEMAN said:
A Masterpice, thats for shure. After 6 years together its still hard to find sleep the night before rehearsal. Played it for 6 hours today and was kind of sad to switch it off. Man that thing sounds so unbelievable...

I have been practicing with it with a CabClone so that I can keep using it late at night without waking the family, and yeah, I literally lose sleep looking forward to playing it again, too.

As a quick revisit to this post: my appreciation for this amp has only grown. Here are things that drove me crazy about the Mark V the first time I owned one that I now love:

- Channel 1, Clean mode
- Channel 2, Edge mode
- Channel 2, Crunch mode
- Channel 3, Mark IIC+ mode

I'm using 6L6s btw - which amazes me even more. The only way I could even think about using Channel 2 on my old amp was EL34s.

I really do think that putting the cabinet directly on the floor is one of the biggest factors. IIC+ mode sounds much fuller. I used to think that it didn't have enough gain compared to my other amps but once it has the bass and authority from floor coupling it roars and sounds like a monster.

Edge also sounds much fuller and potent, probably for the same reasons. I'm using a clean boost with Channel 2 but it really sounds great either way. I am stunned. I used to hate Edge.

Crunch is brutal. Sounds fantastic. That never happened with the old amp, either.

FWIW, I play detuned black/speed metal, rock (Foo Fighters/Led Zepplin), and clean, pretty stuff. The Mark V nails them all.

I agree, it's a masterpiece. It does it all. from bedroom tones to stadium tones. It morphs into whatever you need. I've used my combo to accompany acoustic sets to setting it on top of my lonestar 410 for the gigs with drums. Yes, setting in on the floor especially a wood floor sounds incredible. I would like to get the head version to go with my RK412. I have found my guitar voice.

dlpasco said:
If you have a Mark V, make sure that:

A) your cabinet is on the floor, not on wheels.
B) disable your fx loop -or- activate solo and use the solo control to set your volume instead of the output control.
C) Enjoy all three channels as they were meant to be.

Bump old thread!

I read in thr Mk V manual to keep your cabinet on the ground and not on wheels. So, my 412 is a heavy one and I know be it around a lot for jams and gigs. Not sure what to do. Is it that big a difference? Maybe I need to buy removable casters so I can remove when I get to a jam.
The thing that sucks is that it's a straight 412 and not a slant top, so it's very directional and having it closer to the ground, could make it harder to hear.

Sorry, I missed this question!

If you are running in IIC+ mode, it will sound WAY better with a speaker cabinet on the ground. IIC+ has PULL DEEP disabled, and the ground effect gives it the oomph it will sound like it's missing.

If you're using IV or Extreme, keeping it on casters is fine.

Back