I'm thinking I want a TC-50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfnut

Reaction score
I played an out door all day event yesterday. The guitar player in the band before me was using what looked like a Marshall. My eyes aren't too good but the cabinet was definitely a 4X12 Marshall cab. His tone was phenomenal and its exactly what I've been looking for.
When they were done I was throwing my gear up on stage while he was packing up. I found out that the head was actually a Triple Crown 50.
Anyway, I've been meaning to check out the TC-50 based on descriptions of it that I've been reading. This particular guitarist used basically the same tone all the whole set so I didn't get to hear clean tones or how versatile it could be. But that mid gain crunch he was getting is exactly what I want.
I currently own a Fillmore 50 combo with a fillmore 19 ext cab. If I decide to get the TC-50 will the Fillmore 50 be worth keeping as well? What I mean is can I get one of the channels on the TC50 to get close to the mid gain sound of a Fillmore 50? I wouldn't use the TC-50 for metal sounds. I live in the classic rock type tone, for 70's rock and modern country. The fillmore does a fantastic job here and I like theAmerica vintage fender vibe tones that I get. But I've been wanting something also more British flavored, Marshally. I'm afraid if I get the TC-50 I'll end up preferring one over the other especially if the amps can cover each other acceptably, then it wouldn't make much sense to keep both.
Can anyone who has both or experience with both answer this?
I'd likely get the TC-50 head and either a 2X12 Marshall cab or a 2X12 Mesa. I don't want to repeat the mistake I made with the Fillmore. I really should have got the head and a 2 X12 cabinet, as I never take the combo anywhere with out the extension.

The TC-50 is incredibly versatile but really nails the Marshall tones with more range than a Marshall. That blue channel sounds great and can be ran low gain or high- Clapton to Angus- and sounds fantastic.
I’m loving the bluesy to crunchy tones I get from a 12 o’clock gain setting and that would be my guess for your mystery guitarist, who would likely be flattered to talk to you- you should call him.

I play in three bands and use my TC-50 (combo) for all of them as it's incredibly versatile. One band is a pop covers/bar/wedding band that does everything: Madonna, Journey, Steely Dan, Ozzy, Michael Jackson, Bruno Mars, Metallica, Donna Summer, Stevie Wonder, Blackstreet, Bowie, Pat Benatar, Poison, Skid Row...pretty much every genre. The TC-50 with a good range of pedals will get you great tones across all genres that don't feel at all like a compromise.

My other bands are a funk/Vulfpeck-ish type band and a 80s-inspired rock band (think Giant/Toto) and this amp covers everything with flying colors. I highly, highly, highly recommend it. FWIW I have it with EL34s.

The only thing it doesn't do absolutely amazingly well is the SRV/Mayer/Trower blues thing. You can get there for sure with the right pedals assisting, but it requires some tweaking rather than being a "set it and forget it" clean tone to cover other stuff.

Latest posts

Back