TC-50: Which Tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyb819

Reaction score
Hi All - After doing a bunch of research, I've decided to get a TC-50 combo and am curious if you all can either confirm or contest my choice as well as help me decide which power tubes to order.

I picked the TC-50 because I need one "do everything" amp. I've some great one-trick pony amps for recording my own stuff and for playing with the two singers I'm a hired gun for, but for playing live cover gigs (mostly club/bar gigs and the occasional corporate party/wedding), I'd like to have one amp that can do everything really well as opposed to just "passable." These situations require everything from true clean for funk/R&B tunes, to low gain SRV/Mayer blues tones, to southern rock, to 80s/90s pop/rock, and even a few Buck Cherry, Ozzy and more popular hard rock/metal tunes.

From what I've seen and heard, the TC-50 covers all these tones really well, but i've heard them all from a mix of different power tubes. I'm not all that concerned about the heavier stuff so much as i am about the SRV/Mayer tones because in my experience, those are the hardest to dial in really convincingly. All of the demos I've heard have had both great cleans and heavier tones, but all of those demos have been with either the 6L6 or the EL34 tubes - I haven't heard any of the heavier stuff from the 6V6s.

Any direction or comments as to which tubes will do everything great, but will give a slight edge to the slow gain blues stuff would be super appreciated. I'm leaning 6L6, but that may only because I've got more experience with that sound than the others. Thanks!

For some reason I always come back to the EL-34s. I've had the 6V6's and 6L6's in there also, but just prefer the grind of the EL-34s in that amp. I also play a lot of variety of stuff, but I don't focus so much on exactly what who the tone sounds like (i.e., SRV tone, Van Halen tone etc.). I dial in what I like and go with it.

Now, my buddy who uses the TC-50 combo to gig prefers the 6L6s but he pretty much plays channel 3 with mids maxed out, and gain pretty high at 1 to 2 o'clock. He rolls off the volume for other tones and doesn't really use Ch1 or Ch2. But this is mostly hard rock, old school metal stuff and not like Tom Petty or SRV or whatever.

You know where you're headed, right? You'll get a set of all power tubes and have to try it yourself for a while. That's really the only way to know! At least for me, I need a couple weeks with any tube roll changes just to let my ears/mind calibrate.

Oh totally - and thank you! For posterity's sake, I'm not going for a complete copy of the SRV or Mayer tone - just using those as a reference for that low/mid gain neck and middle pickup blues tone. Since that sound, to me, is the hardest to dial in on modern amps that aren't built to be clean platforms, I wanted to see if anyone had any negative feedback on the ability to dial that kind of tone in with any of the power tube options.

I think I'll go for the EL34s and expand my palette a bit. I'm sure it'll be great with whatever tubes are in there. Thanks again!

Quick update - I just ordered the combo with EL34s from Wildwood and I should have it next week!

I recently bought a TC-50, and it's a great 3 channel switching amp that I see as very usable. I think you'll be happy with your purchase.

EL34s win for me in this amp.

I just went through the tube exercise last night, trying a number of various 6L6, 6V6 and EL34. The amp leans to a British voice, and the EL34s suit it best, IMO. I also tried three sets of Mesa branded EL34s: STR 447 (came with amp), STR 442 (NOS Winged C), STR 440 (NOS Siemens). All three sounded great, but I liked the Siemens best.

Regarding the amp, here's my take:

For reference, I own the following Mesa amps: TC-50, Fillmore 50 (6L6), Fillmore 25 (6V6), Mark V 35 (EL84), Express 5:25 (EL84). I've had the Fillmore and Mark for going on a couple years, but just recently bought the TC. I've also got a 1967 BF Deluxe Reverb, a '74 Silverface DR, mid-70's Marshall 2204, and some other things.

TC-50 definitely has significant British voicing. The LO channel (middle) has Marshall krang. It's not exactly Marshall, but it's well in that camp. The HI channel is still leaning British, but with more mid fullness introduced. This is the Marshall-Mark ******* lovechild. The Clean channel is difficult to define. It's a beautiful clean, but not quite the Fender sonic envelope. The mids are more Boogie. I'm mostly a classic rock guy, so I am gravitating to set up the clean for mid-gain sizzle, middle as mid-high gain Marshall and HI as American/British crunch.

The TC is NOT a Mark series amp. I like my Mark V 35, but it doesn't hit the mark for me as a main gigging amp. I have come to the same conclusion that many others have about the Mark V not really being a viable channel switching gigging amp. It would be a good amp to have in a studio, IMO.

lifebreath said:
I also tried three sets of Mesa branded EL34s: STR 447 (came with amp), STR 442 (NOS Winged C), STR 440 (NOS Siemens). All three sounded great, but I liked the Siemens best.

One thing about those tube models. STR 440 is a 6L6 tube. So maybe there was a typo or you meant the STR 450 or you actually did try the 6L6 STR 440?

mace said:
lifebreath said:
I also tried three sets of Mesa branded EL34s: STR 447 (came with amp), STR 442 (NOS Winged C), STR 440 (NOS Siemens). All three sounded great, but I liked the Siemens best.

One thing about those tube models. STR 440 is a 6L6 tube. So maybe there was a typo or you meant the STR 450 or you actually did try the 6L6 STR 440?

Whoops! Yes, STR 450.

Personally I dig 6L6s in it, it just sounds "correct" IMO since I always associate the Mesa sound with 6L6s. I haven't tried a variety of them in there but I like the Groove Tubes 6L6GE a lot.

Not to say I hate EL34s in there, the factory Mesa branded Electro Harmonix sound great too.

JJ KT77s sounded ok, but I didn't give them enough time.

I've used the stock EL34s, Mesa's Winged C EL34s, Mesa 6V6, Mesa 445 6L6 and Mesa 425 5881/6L6. Never cared for how the 6L6 variants sounded. To me, they were dull and lifeless in comparison. The EL34s and 6V6 were pretty close, but overall preferred the EL34s and could not really tell much difference between the Winged C and stock. But the 6V6 did add some really nice "chewiness" to the clean channel, especially when the Drive toggle was engaged. I wish I could use 6V6 on the clean channel, and the EL34s on the dirty channels. I also like how using the 6V6 cut the output wattage down so I could push the power section a bit more. It would be really awesome if the TC100 could take a pair of each (EL34 and 6V6). Wishful thinking.

Latest posts

Back