Location of the Shred feature

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lokair

Reaction score
I have a question on the shred?
I know it's before the effects loop. I know it only works with channels 2&3, but where is it in the overall lay out? is it part of gainstage 5 (or even before that) is it prior to gainstage 4, could it even be in between them. I have yet to see a schematic on this amp, And I doubt we will for some time.

The reason I ask if it could be changed or modd'ed to be slightly less focused or rounder, I use it and like it but the comprise for me is that I love my non shred tone to the end of days. When I engage shred, I still like my tone, but see room for improvement especially on the single note runs and solos (not a deal breaker for me). A small tone pot, if possible, on the shred would suit my needs. I probably should call Mesa and ask if they would do a mod for me but wanted to ask her first.

My set up is by no means a John Petrucci (the man is great as is his amp), I use Passive pickups in the lower range of output (DiMarzio PAF master set, and similar, almost all humbuckers) thru usually no pedals then JP2C+ then effects loop (delay and chorus available) then out to Mesa 2x12, I do metal and hard rock. when I do a cover, I do not try and replicate anyone's tone, I know what I like. tuned to standard or dropped D and sometimes dropped B (TON type stuff).

thanks everyone
Lok

I don't know where this is, but if it's like the mk iv mid gain/harmonics switch, it's a cathode bypass cap/s on one of the later stages. If that were the case, you could implement a switch just like that, with the caps of your choice. Maybe a higher value with a resistor in series to lower the effect.

Moved on from this issue, 6 months ago I added a Tumnus mini to my board on the front.
Now I only use the Shred feature to tighten up low tuning (via a TC electronics Brain waves). I only add the Tumnus for single note runs or solos as needed on channel 2, still using channel 3 for regular solos. Love channel 3 more everyday, no boost added no shred added , just channel 3 goodness. Now I want to add a digital delay (using an old boss dm2 for delay perfect for messy stuff, but no edge).
Thanks, Mesa, for building the perfect amp.

Lok

Back