JP2C made a gunshot pop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shatzman

Reaction score
I just received my JP2C today and was enjoying the sounds for the first half hour or so then the thing made a loud gunshot pop that scared the hell out of me. It seems to sound fine after and it didn’t do it again for the next half hour I played. I read the startup instructions thankfully and found the power tubes hanging down a bit from shipping but I seated them before I started playing. Hopefully it’s nothing. Maybe a tube anomaly but I’m a little nervous about it. Any reply is greatly appreciated. Any idea what may have caused this

People say that whenever a filter capacitor(big capacitor in an amp) explodes it makes a gunshot like sound.

Did the Pop occur when changing channels? If so this happens to alot of them (mine included) after start up or if it has sat on for while on. I am so used to it now I always select a channel before I take it out of standby (it probably still does it but it's not audible) then it seems to be fine for the rest of the day as long as I don't shut it off. I have played a half dozen and they all seem to do it. If it just did it out of the blue then it could be the tube, or even the power cable not being seated (I did that on an Epiphone amp I had, it was loud and and seemed to be random till i found the cable being just loose enuff to come undone and pow).

Lok

Electrolytic caps will explode if there is too much voltage applied to the terminals or if it is installed backwards. When they do explode, it does sound like a shotgun or even a 1/4 stick fire cracker. However, you would know for sure if this happened as it would have been followed by some smoke and insulating materials blowing out through any opening. This will also blow the fuse (or it should).

As what others have stated, the pop if it came through the speaker cabinet is nothing to fear. It is just a change in static potential in some circuits and the strobe mute was not ready to mute the sudden change (usually occurs when changing channels for the first time). After that, the strobe mute will work as it should and any noises cause by change of connections by relays should not be notices.

Latest posts

Back