Has anyone received a new JP2C with the new Schumacher transformers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyHills

Reaction score
I am referring to the mention in this article:

https://larkguitars.com/blogs/news/where-is-my-boogie

Everything is coming together nicely and shaping up to be an improvement across the entire line. Petrucci has been playing one of the prototype JP2Cs with the new transformers and it has quickly become his favorite, good things!

I am currently several months in still on the waiting list for my JP2C, but it would be cool to see if anyone has received a recent build with the new trannies/transformers 8)

Just bought this new a week ago.

Under the hood.

VBcFZZm.jpg
bCYtOSE.jpg
BvcZ09w.jpg
t1lU7B1.jpg
YreSSHF.jpg
Z0Lw1Dj.jpg
8xCJvC6.jpg
UrK19bl.jpg
cNkQXMz.jpg

Also got mine last week. I have no basis of comparison, aside from a Mark IIB and a Mark V, but I can tell you, this amp is absolutely fantastic. I was hesitant at first to get one of the new ones, but they started showing up on Reverb, and now Sweetwater, so I took the plunge. Not one single regret. It is everything I hoped for.

jnoel64 said:
Also got mine last week. I have no basis of comparison, aside from a Mark IIB and a Mark V, but I can tell you, this amp is absolutely fantastic. I was hesitant at first to get one of the new ones, but they started showing up on Reverb, and now Sweetwater, so I took the plunge. Not one single regret. It is everything I hoped for.

I cannot say the same.

Mine does not set as well in the mix or cut like my MKIV-A.

It doesn't sound bad, just does not have the muscle of my MKIV in any channel or mode. I will spend some time with it, but it will probably either go back to Mesa, or returned to the dealer.

Not impressed.

Not at all.

Wow. Sorry to hear that. Granted, I have yet to play mine with my band, but I still have very high expectations. My biggest surprise was getting low to mid gain tones that didn't suck, lol! Pulling the presence knob did the trick for me.

jnoel64 said:

How do you find the Mark V channels 1 and 3 compare with the JP2C?

For me, it's not really a fair comparison. The V has 3 modes on each channel, and I loved the Tweed mode on the V's channel 1. But the JP channel 1 is pure clean, period. To me, it seems the JP is stiffer on it's clean channel, but not unpleasantly so. On the V, if I wasn't using Tweed mode, I used Fat, which is probably closer to the JP's clean channel. If the JP had a Tweed mode, I would be ecstatic, but then it wouldn't be a JP - it would probably be more like a Mark VI. I can live without the Tweed mode just fine; it was just something I really enjoyed on the V.

Channel 3 of the V was the biggest disappointment for me. I deliberately got the V after all the posts here about the AT7 mod. The II C+ mode on the V was thin to my ears. IV mode was definitely an improvement, but still pales in comparison to either channel 2 or 3 on the JP. The JP's tone is what I was hoping for, so that's on me. I was never too fond of Extreme on the V. I find the JP to deliver a fuller, yet still very articulate, tone than the V.

I still wish Mesa could make all their modes footswitch-toggleable. Then a V would be the ultimate "Swiss Army Knife" of amps. It would also make my TC-50 even more versatile.

Not dissing the V at all. If you can find exactly what you want across all three channels and have no regrets about not being able to footswitch between each channel's modes, great. In the end, the V just wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear. The JP is doing that for me....so far. I said the same thing about my Electra Dyne not that long ago.

jnoel64 said:
Wow. Sorry to hear that. Granted, I have yet to play mine with my band, but I still have very high expectations. My biggest surprise was getting low to mid gain tones that didn't suck, lol! Pulling the presence knob did the trick for me.

I've played thru many iterations of Mark series amps thru the years. All of them (even 2C/2C+) cut like a lazer with reserve to spare. Some of the most muscular cutting amps I've ever played thru. My only other amps that will compete with them are my Wizards and My SLO100.

And I am NOT A BED ROOM PLAYER! I only use amps live and where they can be LOUD!

I've already tried every pull/push/pull ch EQ and Slider EQ adjustment here under the sun. Next I'll do tube swapping. And see where that takes me.

Haven't given up yet.

Just a little disappointed after reading all the hype on these.

Mesa has never put out a Mark Series Amp I didn't like.

I hope this doesn't make the JP2C the first.

I am curious if anyone has heard the difference between the new and old transformers yet. I sold my JP2C last year (needed the money at the time). I am looking at buying another on reverb and see some have new some have old would love to know which is "better".

I recently went to the store where I bought my JP2C+ and asked the question of their Main guitar/amp salesman, Jason, and he is Mesa guy through and through(bought My mesa 2x12 vert used from him in 2008ish from his personal travel rig should have bought the other one too). Jason said he A/B'd one old vs new style Transformers. He said the difference was not noticed, he also A/B'd a gibson vs pre gibson, no notable difference (sofar he said that's something he watching). Asked which one Mesa Mark VII vs JP2C+ he said JP2C+ is the better of the two in his opinion two EQ's makes the difference we both agreed on(sadley they had sold all their stock of Mark VII's so I could not try one).
Lok

That's good to hear. Granted, tone is subjective, but to be able to compare both pre and post-Gibson era amps is great. For me, I have absolutely no interest in the VII. While I see some interesting changes, the loss of Tweed and Edge in the VII is a deal breaker for me - not to mention the price increases. I am super glad I got my JP when they started showing up again. Zero regrets.

Cost for the VII is why I probably will not get one, right away that is. However, does not mean I do not want to try one out. I can wait until Mesa gets caught up with everything else. Happy with my JP2C as well.

I picked one up recently and don’t notice any difference between this one and the one I had years and years ago.

BTW…… if you are still looking for one, move fast. Price for a new one just went to $3,999 which is absurd. some smaller sites haven’t raised the price yet. I bought a new for under 3k a month ago so just snuck in before price increase.

Latest posts

Back