Which will suit me better, JP2C or Mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mammothinsurance

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for a "do it all" amp, my usage is going to be:
1. nice lead tone for fusion soloing (i think the "petrucci" liquid lead tone will satisfy that requirement just fine)
2. metal rhythm tone (don't have any specific preferences, just want to play DT songs lol)
3. clean tone suited for jazz (i'm guessing this is the kicker that might make the Mark V rise above the JP2C)
4. nice overdrive, low gain, dynamic tone (I think the Mark V does it better, but I'm not ruling out the option of using an overdrive pedal for that)

I'm going to play mostly at bedroom levels, so that should be a major consideration.
I remember listeninig to the JP2C, overall it was amazing, but I couldn't achieve a rhythm tone I liked at bedroom level, I think it had some kind of hiss to it that I didn't like, and I couldn't get rid of.. maybe if I pair it with some attenuation I could get better results? (If you can share some nice rhythm settings with low volume, that would be very helpful)

The options I see:
1. Get the JP2C
2. Get the Mark V
3. Get the Mark V 25, and a separate amp for jazz cleans (maybe a Fillmore?)

I'm open to any other suggestions you can think of that I missed
Thanks! :D

The JP2C is a great amp and can do all that you are trying to do, even the cleans. I do find the clean needs more volume to sound it's best compared to the gain channels though, but I think that has more to do with getting the speakers moving and not the amp itself(which is the problem I think people run into when they try attenuators). MIDI capability and two graphic EQs is also nice. With the two EQ sections you can get three different foot switchable sounds from each channel. The Mark V is also a great amp and probably edges out the JP2C for versatility. It also has a global output volume which is a nice thing to have(JP2C does not). I did not like the smaller Marks. I have not liked any smaller version amps from any manufacturer though. Different output sections make them different sounding amps and not in a way I like. Same thing with switchable output amps for me too. They just don't lower the volume, they change the tone. Getting back to JP2C or Mark V, I went with a JP2C because I don't need a bunch of different sounds. Just a clean, crunch and lead, so the JP2C was perfect for me. You can't go wrong with either one though if the Mark sound is what you want.

Based on what you've described I'd personally go the JP2C.

1. nice lead tone for fusion soloing (i think the "petrucci" liquid lead tone will satisfy that requirement just fine)
- Both are great but JP nails this due to increase vol 1 input gain and push presence setting. My settings are: Ch3 Presence Push / Separate GEQ

2. metal rhythm tone (don't have any specific preferences, just want to play DT songs lol)
- Both are great but JP nails this due to increase vol 1 input gain. The fact that you want a high gain metal rhythm and a high gain lead would point me in the direction of the JP since you can have 2 independent channels and settings for each. My settings for this are Ch2 Presence Pull / Separate GEQ- JP wins at this

3. clean tone suited for jazz (i'm guessing this is the kicker that might make the Mark V rise above the JP2C)
- While I'm no jazz expert from what I understand is that the clean tone needs to be clean and no breakup. JP has the cleanest clean. You can use mid control to add a bit of hair but if you're after a dirty clean then V might be better for this.... unless you use an overdrive per my point below 4.

4. nice overdrive, low gain, dynamic tone (I think the Mark V does it better, but I'm not ruling out the option of using an overdrive pedal for that)
- This is where the V would be more suitable, but you could use an overdrive on the JP.

While the V might generally be more versatile because of the 9 modes, due to no midi switching or foot switching for mode changes you are limited to 3 settings on the amp at a time despite 9 potential 'sounds'. For most Metal rhythm and Lead tone are likely to be using channel 3 in which case you are limited to 1 presence setting and 1 GEQ. Not to mention the vol 1 or input gain is preset to 7ish as compared to 7-8 and 8.5-9.5ish on the JP using the pull gain controls along with two different presence settings and 2 different GEQs all midi assignable.

Unless of course you use crunch for your metal rhythm which is on Channel 2, and while I did love that mode I always preferred it less than any of the modes in Channel 3, particularly iic+ and IV mode.

Well, I'm not really playing at live volume so having only 1 graphic eq and clean channel breaking up is not a concern for me.
Having said that, I ordered a JP-2C anyway :lol: just couldn't resist it (I will probably look for something like a lonestar down the road to nail the overdrive tones)
It should arrive around May-June, hopefully it won't get delayed.. I'm not getting my hopes up tho because I heard that some people are already waiting a few months for this amp to restock, and will not get it before July.

Back