What is your thoughts on Cab Clone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panal4

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to here. I'm currently planning to buy JP-2C and BOSS Tube Amp Expander.

But I suddenly noticed that JP-2C has Cab Clone inside it which does quite similar thing to TAE.

I need loadbox/cab simulator thing because I'm living in an apartment, so I can't use a cabinet speaker.

I know TAE has a many good reviews but Cab Clone, some says it's good and some says it's a ****.

I've also considered AXE FX. Sure it's much more reasonable for my condition.

But you know, that digital thing doesn't get me at all.

So my question is, as mentioned in the title, what is your thoughts on Cab Clone?

Is Cab Clone good enough not to buy TAE for better sound?

Please share your experience and I'll be pleasured.

P.S

Is there any flaws or issues should I know before buying JP-2C?

I've heard that MkV has a trouble with its foot control and when its channel switched it makes pop noise.

Cab Clone is OK in my book. I use it for gigs with a Mark V and also for home recording. When I did some comparisons with CabClone and an SM57 in front of a RectoCab V30 the recordings seemed pretty close to my ear. However, I always run the CabClone with a live speaker. The CabClone is passive so it benefits when there is a live speaker running.

Personally, I find that the CabClone without a live speaker is not so good. I do not really like it with headphones and even Mesa recommends using reverb/delay with headphones to give the sound some "depth".

Since the JP2C comes with CabClone built in why not just hold off on buying the TAE and give the CabClone a try for a while?

Maybe I'm just lucky but I do not have any bad pops on the Mark V. When gigging and switching channels during a song nobody has ever heard a pop. When at home, yes, there is a light pop sometimes but it is not an issue for me.

Agree with the comments so far. It depends on your use. The cab clone in the jp sounds good with a cab actually connected to the speaker out. When run passive without a speaker connected it doesn’t sound as good but agree that you should give it a go before buying an external.

I use mine mostly for additional monitoring through my studio speakers and the cabs are connected as well.

Occasionally if I turn on the amp in channel 3 there’s a slight pop when I change channel for the first tine but that is rare and I wouldn’t expect pops between channel changes to be normal. Either via footswitch or midi.

thanks guys I appreciate your advice.

I’ll give it a try before buying TAE... hope it would be good enough for me with using IR.

It’s been a while since I checked but, unlike the standalone unit, I don’t think it’s possible to get a non simulated signal front he JP cab clone.

So if you process into your DAW and then and an IR you’d be doubling the cabinet simulation.

I’m not sure how much the TAE is but if you need a recorded signal and the inbuilt cabclone doesn’t suit the torpedo captor is a great cheap alternative that is a reactive load box with outputs for both simulated and unsimulated. Also has a 20db attenuation output should you get a cabinet down the road.

I used the Waza TAE since June of last year but sold it back in November. If you need a 100 watt solid state power amp and the extra effects that it has on board, it is an excellent unit. It sounded great.

I recent got a new JP-2C and it is a fantastic amp. I would suggest trying the resistive load on the amp first to see how it works out for you and if that isn't decent enough, the new Mesa CabClone IR is probably a great unit to have as you have both the attenuator, reactive load and the use of IRs for your going direct.

I have ordered one of the new units as well as I will be using it to run my amp direct when playing live.
I have to say though, the Axe III is a pretty **** incredible unit as well. The JP-2C models on there are outstanding as is pretty much everything else on it. Love mine! I use it regularly for live and recording.

PBGas said:
I used the Waza TAE since June of last year but sold it back in November. If you need a 100 watt solid state power amp and the extra effects that it has on board, it is an excellent unit. It sounded great.

If it sounds great why did you sell it?

panal4 said:
PBGas said:

If it sounds great why did you sell it?

I had a few reasons. I was convinced that I could just go the modelling route for live. That was a mistake for the way I like to hear myself when playing live. Really, there is no real issue doing this and worked through the entire summer playing about 20 gigs via that route. I was bringing a couple of Friedman 10" monitors, a pedalboard for the FC6 and a rack case for the Axe III. It was all fine and dandy but after a while, when all that you have used is amps playing live for many years, you find you are always missing something. I had sold a couple of my amps that I had, a 212 cabinet and the Waza unit and kept the $$$ aside from that sale. I probably should not have done things.

There were a few things that I did not like about the Waza. 1 was the weight and the second reason was the overall size of it. It is close to 19lbs with the rack ears connected. I had it in a rack case with a power unit. The other factor was that it has a power amp that I did not really need. It was ok sounding but not great. The simulations were good on it but there were no R121 IR's. Easy enough to import your favourite IR and go from there but you get no controls over it due to it being imported. The FX are a nice bonus but I really did not need them at all.

Now that I have a new JP-2C and vertical 212, I really like what I have. I've done 3 gigs on this setup and it just sounds right to my ears. I ordered the new CabClone IR+ because it has everything I need minus that power amp that the Boss unit had. I also found the cost of it to be in the right spot. The unit has a much smaller footprint and is easy to drop into the bag with my cables and go. The fact that Mesa did a reactive load this time along with an attenuator was also a welcome change. Again, everything I need and nothing I do not.

I just hope it sounds as good as it looks on paper.

What would be super helpful if you could do a recording comparison with the built in cab clone and the new cab clone IR+ with with no speaker connected. I’m curious how much the reactive load of the new Clone IR+ changes things.

so that being said....I cancelled my order for the CabClone IR+.
I ended up picking up another Waza TAE. They recently updated the firmware on it and it now includes the R121 mic which is what I wanted previously. Also, my needs have slightly changed for live and I now have a great use for the built in power amp that I did not before.....so, I got another one.

The updates sound fabulous with my JP-2C!

I don't understand workflow of the build in cabclone future.i am curious is this module after the power amp or not?

Back