Helix and the JP-2C

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eudaimonia02912

Reaction score
I'm sick of tap-dancing, so I decided to take a chance with replacing all my pedals--including my midi footswitch--with the Helix, set up for 4CM.

I don't hear any sound degradation, despite the digital conversion before and after the preamp. I tried A/Bing with my analog pedals and direct in, and I can't hear or feel a difference. For instance, the "minotaur" model really does sound like my Klon clone. So while in the past I saw Line 6 stuff as a toy or as a tool of convenience, it seems these are good enough now to replace all my pedals.

You can set up individual presets with up to eight "snapshots". Think of a preset as being a bunch of pedals on the floor. Each snapshot = a different set of settings for those pedals, including which pedals are on or off, and even which settings are on and off on the JP-2C. For instance, I created a Dream Theater preset which has noise gates, compression, delay, and reverb. Snapshot 1 turns on channel 1 and the FX loop, plus the compression, delay, and reverb. Snapshot 2 turns on channel 2 and EQ 1, and only uses the noise gate. Snapshot 3 turns on channel 3 and EQ1, turns on a different noise gate setting, and uses different delay and reverb settings. And there's no lag between snapshots, at least that I can notice.

P.S.

Another nice bit about the helix is that it includes a useful model of the Boogie 5-band EQ. If you want a *third* GEQ, you can set up the Helix to turn off EQ 1 and 2 and then run the GEQ model after the preamp. For instance, I use EQ 1 for Petrucci-style tone, EQ 2 for a pseudo-Marshall, and now the EQ model on the Helix to make shred mode more useful without having to give up the other two basic settings.

Sounds cool. Did you experience and ground loop hum? I tried the boss es-8 and never could stop the ground loop. I tried all the eb tech eliminators etc. Separate circuit run into my jam room. Had electrician also test and verify the ground. Which Helix model did you get? One with amp sims or effects only?

MrHiwatt

Yes, I had a group loop problem as soon as I set 4CM up. But I already had one of those EbTech 2-channel hum eliminators, and that completely eliminated the problem.

Latest posts

Back