JP2C closer to a C++?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, Mike swore me to secrecy. :lol: I was dying to tell.......

Elpelotero said:
I thought I obsessed over details. You guys got me beat!
Yeah, I am on this, but for good reason, I think. There are consequences to believing in things that aren't true - in this case, the spread of bad information can have an affect on an amp's resale value. And then there's the new discovery aspect - for example, if the mid push/pull had turned out to not be a C++ mod, then what is it? A mystery mod like that would be interesting to learn more about.

Back to the subject, hopefully the JP2C will arrive this week but I have my doubts from playing a mark V25 as to how close in tone it won't be. There was something missing that I get with my old amp. No matter where I set the gain or tone knobs or EQ I just couldn't get that warm tone. I ended up having nightmares about that little amp after a week of using it. With my new C++, I have to shut down at around 11:00 to let my family sleep. It's hard for me to get to sleep at night because I'm dreaming about playing just one note and holding it and the first thing I do when I get up is play for about 20 minutes before I go to work, I literally have been playing it at least five hours a day I love it so much and I play it in my dreams too. It dawned on me is that if I bought the JP2C it would just sit in the box, $2700 box. I got my C++ on a straight up trade and have sold enough gear and have my wife's blessing to buy the new amp, it goes against everything I've ever done in my selfish life. $2700.00 box? We'll see.

I would say the JP2C is much closer to a C++ than a C+ from what I've read and my own personal experience with all three amps. The C++ that I now own has an uncanny resemblance to my JP2C and it is simul-class, but the bark and the bite could not be closer. Right now, today, I've played both amps side by side and I could parallel the tone all the way throughout the different ranges from sparkly clean to full shred and it was spot on.
I have so much more experimenting to do with JP2C because so far I'm only really comfortable with channel 2 and GEQ1. When I have gigged with the JP2C, I have to radically change the settings on Ch. 1&3 plus GEQ2, so I end up pretty much living in ch. 2 most of the time, fiddling with the knobs on ch. 1&3 and sliders on GEQ2 all night without being happy with the tone. I'm not sure why they sound so different at shows than at practice or at home playing along to stuff? It's almost as if the tone on ch. 2 and GEQ1 can't be beat!

I agree Markedman, the JP is really close in tone and attack to the C++. After playing around with the JP I can get an awesome "Justice" tone.

Elpelotero said:
These are the notes I typed down last year as I spoke to Mike B. when he was doing my amp...

C++ Mod:
o It is an extra Gain mod, wherein the Bass frequencies are cut out, and there are more upper mids put in. This allows you to dial the Bass and Mid knobs higher than normal (previously from 0 and 2 up to 3, 4, 5, etc). Having the EQ is essential if you do this mod, as it allows you to dial the bass back in that is being sucked out. On a Simul, some of the smooth rounded tone will disappear in favor of a more raw, hairy tone. It is not selectable via a push-pull pot or switch. Once it’s in, it’s in. However, Mike B. is able to remove it and bring the amp back to stock gain. It costs approx. $200 to have it put in.

I’ve just bought a IIC+ from a friend who owned it for ten years. So now I have the IIC+ and a JP2C. I love them both. I would like to have a IIC++ but I don’t want my IIC+ to be modded.

Reading this thread, I had an idea but I need some help : do you think it would be possible to have my IIC+ sounding like a IIC++ just using a parametric EQ in front of my IIC+ ? Elpelotero explained that the input EQ of the IIC++ is different from the input EQ of the IIC+ in that it had bass frequencies cut out and more upper mids. I could simulate that with a parametic EQ in front of my IIC and adjust the output level of the parametric EQ to have the appropriate gain.

The problem is : how to set exactly the paramétric EQ ? Should I cut everything before 80 Hz, 100 Hz or 200 Hz for exemple ? How can I boost upper mids, should I boost around 2 000 Hz with a shelving filter ?

To find the exact settings I need your help.

Have anybody tried to analyse the differencies between the input EQs of the IIC+ and the IIC++ ?

Latest posts

Back