Used TA-30 Issues Reverb/FX-Loop Noise and Intermittent Wonk

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Gibbs

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just picked up a used TA-30 head. Overall, it's an impressive amp, however it has a few issues.

1. The Reverb/FX-Loop is really noisy on both channels. It goes away if it's bypassed, but my setup is 4CM and I use the loop. Is this normal? Can it be modified or fixed to quiet it?

2. The amp occasionally just goes into a solid loud buzz. I linked a video in my dropbox. I'm trying to diagnose it without ordering a full tube replacement set.

Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/desvwazrvfc0npm/IMG_3878.m4v?dl=0

My TA-30 2x12 combi has very similar issues. I posted a similar video as you made here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UebU30a0WIo&t=1s

Did you contact Mesa Boogie support? I sent them a detailed e-mail nearly 4 weeks ago, as there is no M-B service partner in my country, but haven't received any response yet.
Mark

I resent my support request to Mesa, and they responded within a day ( their rep in Germany). They watched my youtube video, and sent me the three Tech bulletins which address these noise and switching issues. The mods are easy enough, so I'll do them once I get the cap, two resisters, and one J-fet required.

Great service from Mesa Engineering, so I suggest you email them a link to your video as well.
Mark

I decided to to do the switching tech bulletin straight away, as it is only the addition of a 2.2kµF cap to the +15V supply. The tech bulletin from Mesa Engineering is very clear, although there is no a lot of room to work in this amp. Now the switching works properly. Thanks Mesa.
Mark

Hey Mark,

Thanks for all of the info. I haven't emailed them yet. I switched out for a new set of tubes and one of the issues seems to be the seating of the tubes. I'll refer back to this as I get into it.

I had a very good Mesa certified tech do the fixes. They certainly helped a lot but didn't completely eliminate the noise issue.
I plan on trying some 12at7's in V5 and V6 to see if that will help a bit more, although I don't expect a huge improvement. Good thing I like the amp otherwise.

Latest posts

Back