Alternative Boogies to TA -15 / TA-30?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockeydog

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been keen on picking up a used TA-15 or TA-30 as I am looking for a fairly low power Boogie that can do the chimey Vox-ish EL84 thing. The TA-30 concerns me as I have read of some issues with the effects loop and reverb. Since Boogie has such a large number of discontinued models still on the used market I thought I'd look into some older models that used EL84's and were lower power amps such as :
DC3
Nomad 45
F30
Studio 22
.50 Calibre ?

There are YouTube videos to be watched on all of them, but I'd like to see if anyone could give some insight about the models listed above, or any other Boogies. I have certainly not ruled out a TA, but sometimes there are other options and I don't have access to or any experience with the above. I am looking for something that is a nice contrast to my Mark IIB and I thought a nice chimey EL84 would be a cool partner. Thank you for any suggestions !

You may as well include the Rectoverb25 (may not do the Vox tone but I do like the sound of that amp)

If you want to run 25W, The TC-50 using the 6V6 tubes sounds awesome. Also killer with the EL34's. With that amp you do have more options of the 3 channels (two drive modes per channel) as well as a choice of using three power tubes EL34, 6V6 and 6L6 ( or 5881). TC did adopt the RA100 preamp in some respects but it is also more responsive and tighter on the higher gain channels. Clean channel is my favorite and with the voice set to drive that just gets me where I want it.

Reverb is excellent, FX loop is ideal (best I have heard yet from mesa, I could not believe how my Strymon Big Sky sounded in the loop). Best of all the amp weighs considerably less than the RA100 !

Thanks! I had a chance to try out a TA-30 and I really liked it. The noise issue ( at least on this one) is not bad at all. I might go ahead and pick it up.

Back