Mark 35 combo or 25 Head w. cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

espskully

Reaction score
Hey guys! I currently own a 50 watt Rectoverb head and a 2x12 Rectifier cab. I love the tone but it's just WAY too much rig for me. Another thing that's an issue is I can't use the Effects loop with my Boss Delay. I know I can get a mod for that but I digress...

I play everything from pure clean, to low gain blues to Metallica type stuff. I'm considering trading my Rectoverb and cab for either the Mark 35 combo, or the Mark 25 head and mini Rectifier cab (around the same price point for both rigs). I will never be playing big venues, only small to medium sized rooms. So I don't need crazy wattage or huge amounts of clean headroom - but I'd like to have reasonably loud pure cleans without breaking up.

I've read some reviews that say the 35 combo is "boxy". I definitely want to be able to get a big metal Hetfield type sound.

So, long story short, would you all recommend the Mark 25 head with mini cab or the 35 combo?

Thanks!

I've had my MV:35 combo for a few years now and can't report any "boxy" sound at all. I have put a Celestion Neo Creamback in the combo and it's a very complimentary speaker for that amp, and it saves a little weight. We did a private party last night in a big Banquet Hall on a stage that was 35'X18' deep. I had the amp on a stand that pointed it up towards me and sent the cab clone to FOH set on vintage open-back - we used in-ear monitors and it was a great gig - full dance floor all night and the hard core dancers were clamoring for more when it was quitting time. I have used the amp on a smaller stage in a smaller room without in-ears and floor wedges for monitors - again the amp provided me with great high-headroom cleans and I favor MKIIc OD in Ch2. The amp fills the room with full fidelity tone (tilting it up works so well to get the amp "up & over' into the room), pretty much sounding as if it's punching way above it's weight class with no effort. I've found the MK:35 to be the most gig-friendly amp that I've ever owned. I've also used the combo with the Mesa 27" wide 1X12 open back cab at outdoor summer gigs to move a little more air in the great wide open - think of it as a head with a built-in monitor speaker - very pleasing results then as well.

Back