Can Mark Five 35 do AC style chime?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinskin57

Reaction score
As much as I love the sounds of modern takes on AC style amps like the Morgan AC20, dealbreaker with me is the fact that there’s no effects loop. The MV35 piqued my interest in that it has (kinda) the formula- EL84’s. Then there is the fact that it is multi channel and has an effects loop as well as lots of flexibility as expected from Mesa. The thing is I can’t find a video anywhere on YouTube to save my life that demonstrates this amplifier doing the chimey AC edge of breakup thing. People are either trying to make it sound like a fender with the clean sounds, or a dual recttifier with the distortion sounds. Any mark 5 35 owners out there that can comment on whether this sound is attainable via the ‘35?

I have played with every setting on mine and I think I have tried just about every combination of settings. I never got what sounded to me like the traditional Vox tone. I can get Blackface tones, a semi-passable kind of Tweedy tone, certain Marshall-esque tones, prior Mark tones and something that sort of resembles a Rectifier tone. Never heard anything that made me think of Vox. EL84s are no guarantee of Vox tone. The Fender BJr and ProJr both use 84s and to my ears they sound like a squashed version of the HRD tone.

yep BMW has it right. I play with a guy who has a Vox and we've tried with my V:90 and LSS to duplicate, we chuckle cause it's not really there. But in the meantime he's developed GAS for a LSS :lol:

Agree w/BMW-Ktm as well. My MV:35 does all he describes and well. If I want to lean into Vox AC15 voice I fire up my TA15 on the Vox Channel 1. It nails Vox AC15 and the AC15 Top Boost voice "like a ring in a bell". The TA30 will do that too - both are discontinued but available used. Good Hunting.

thinskin57 said:
As much as I love the sounds of modern takes on AC style amps like the Morgan AC20, dealbreaker with me is the fact that there’s no effects loop. The MV35 piqued my interest in that it has (kinda) the formula- EL84’s. Then there is the fact that it is multi channel and has an effects loop as well as lots of flexibility as expected from Mesa. The thing is I can’t find a video anywhere on YouTube to save my life that demonstrates this amplifier doing the chimey AC edge of breakup thing. People are either trying to make it sound like a fender with the clean sounds, or a dual recttifier with the distortion sounds. Any mark 5 35 owners out there that can comment on whether this sound is attainable via the ‘35?

Mark V amps don't do Vox AC chime/jangle.

But the Mesa TransAtlantic amps do both normal and top boost channels just as good as any Vox AC30 re-issue provided you match them with alnico speakers or Celestion Creamback.
TA-30 has an FX loop also.

But these TransAtlantic amps are much better, and far more versatile, than any Vox amp imo cos they also do great Fender Tweed, Marshall overdrive and Boogie lead tones. They have variable wattage and you can also channel switch between the Vox normal and top boost modes, which you can't do on any Vox :)

Latest posts

Back