Do you boost your Mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you boost your Mark V?

• Yes, I boost

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • No, I do not boost

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

Poltergeist059

Reaction score
I've been going back and forth about whether the best metal rhythm tones on channel three can be found by dialing in a rock sound and then boosting, or removing the boost and raising the gain and treble to obtain the same saturation.

I used to be in the camp of "the Mark V doesnt need a boost" until I saw what a good boost like the Precision Drive can do in terms of increased attack and saturation.

One advantage of boosting is that you can have a rock sound and a metal sound dialed in on the same channel, adding to the already phenomenal versatility of the amp.

An advantage of not boosting is that you can have a more "natural" tone and of course less power supplies to plug in.

So which do you do? Do you boost for your metal rhythm tone? Why or why not.

I do it. I play heavy stuff and I use channel 3 for rhythm parts and channel 2 is actually my lead sound; in order to achieve the gain needed I have MI Audio boost ‘n buff in front of the amp. I’ve tried several other boost pedals but only this one seems to work for me (and the amp). I find the channel 2 boosted far better than channel 3 as lead sound and with proper settings mark V becones de facto a four channel amp

Not so much a boost, but I've had great results running a fuzz into channel 1. Channel 2, Mark 1 mode is crying out for an overdrive. It's so bass heavy. Introducing some highs and mids could yield some interesting tones.

Exactly. Pickups, body construction, action, strings and also how you play etc can all factor.
Can be a need that varies from axe to axe.

The EMGs vs some low output beast with pickup to string height set high is gonna be a different result.

I tried playing around with a tube screamer and a TC mini spark boost, and it didn't really do anything for me. I've always felt I have what I need just using the Mark V. So now all I use is a tuner and a Bud wah.

Latest posts

Back