Any Celestion G12K100 and CL80/C90 fans?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boardn10

Reaction score
I've been using the Redbacks and V30s a lot lately, but I've been mixing the V30 with a K100 in a 212 and CL80 or K100 with a Redback in another 212.
I really live the results of all these speakers with the Mark V.
Curious if anyone else is digging these speakers and what your experience has been?

I haveba Stone Age with Redback/K100, looking to change to Redback/CL80. I tried two Redbacks and it was rich, deep and dark but I am preferring a blend.

I've been using the C90 Black Shadow speaker for 17 years now, which by all accounts I've read is very close to the Classic Lead 80.

I finally tried 2 V30s this past fall (one Chinese, one of the Mesa UK-made version) but could not bond with either one, they were just to bright for me. It could be that I never let the speakers break in enough, but what I heard did not entice me to want to keep playing them.

The C90 seems more well-rounded overall, and for cleans it's far warmer and clearer sounding, especially on a non-metal guitar (ie, a Gretsch or Fender Jazzmaster).

For my band, to cut the mix well, best mix I have found is English V30/Redback.
CL80s and K100s work well mixed in too.
I find, I need to have the thickness, girth and punch of the V30 in most of my cabs.
Don't seem bright at all to me.

This band is a cross between Tool and Slipknot.

For my band, to cut the mix well, best mix I have found is English V30/Redback.
CL80s and K100s work well mixed in too.
I find, I need to have the thickness, girth and punch of the V30 in most of my cabs.
Don't seem bright at all to me.

I've got an old 4x12 C90 and G12-75 loaded, best cab i've ever own. I'm not a V30 fan, unless they're blended eith something else.
2xV30 and 2xG12-75 could be an option

G12-75: great definition on lower freq, a bit "fuzzy" on high especially with el34. Less efficient than V30.

V30: too much middle bump to me, more efficient than G12-75 but when compensate with volume G12-75 cut the mix much better.

So the C90/T75 work well?
So I bet the CL80 would mix well too.

I see the T75/K100 a lot.
I love the V30/T75, V30/CL80(C90), V30/K100 and V30/Redbacks.
Love mixing V30s.
That said, my Bogner killed with V30s, but I prefer it as V30/K100.

I have a China V30/K100 that rocks.
Also had two China V30s in my Splawn 412 that rocked.
Now, I have two English V30s with one Mesa version mixed with Redbacks.

I hear the older English T75 is warmer and smoother and the newer China made ones are brighter, more scooped and not as smooth. Any truth to this, I wonder?

So I bet the CL80 would mix well too.

I see the T75/K100 a lot.
I love the V30/T75, V30/CL80(C90), V30/K100 and V30/Redbacks.
Love mixing V30s.
That said, my Bogner killed with V30s, but I prefer it as V30/K100.

I have a China V30/K100 that rocks.
Also had two China V30s in my Splawn 412 that rocked.
Now, I have two English V30s with one Mesa version mixed with Redbacks.

I hear the older English T75 is warmer and smoother and the newer China made ones are brighter, more scooped and not as smooth. Any truth to this, I wonder?

I've had this horiz Recto 30 2x12 cab for a while now and have come to realize the V30 is just not a fav by itself. It has become obvious as I've added other cabs ie: 2x12 vert w/EVM+Eminence, 2x10 w/ G10N-40s and a 1x12 EVM. Prefer pairing the 1x12 EVM now with the Recto to balance out that upper mid bump and assist with the cleans.

Now I'm looking for a better pairing with the V30 in the cab... so can you contrast the difference between these pairs below? Which one do you think was best for accentuating the clean chan. Along with a V:90 I run a LSS and a IIC+. Thanks

V30/CL80(C90), V30/K100

boardn10 said:

Based on my (and I think most people's) experience with V30s, I'm inclined to think that if people hear that kind of difference it's because the UK speaker is 25 years old with over 1500 hours on it and the Chinese one is new...

boardn10 said:

I really like it, but I'm a sort of outsider.
I prefear V30 with rectos, speaking of mark series, I don't like V30 alone as I wrote before, i like mix them with something else

Hello from England.
I don't know if these are available over the pond but I have a pair of UK Celestion G10 45 Creambacks housed in a custom built
vertical slanted cabinet with the option of having the top open or closed via an ingeneous flap system.
On top sits my Mark V 35 head and the sound is awesome.
Despite the narrower radiation these speakers sing - just don't stand in front of the cab !
Cheers and stay safe.
Ave.

Back