Clean Channel...removing bright cap?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angle Loss

Reaction score
Has anyone removed the 120pf bright cap on the gain control of the clean channel?

I've always loathed the clean channel...doesn't take overdrive pedals as well as my old Fenders. It is overly harsh and is very buzzy/shrill no matter the settings. Their "tweed" doesn't sound tweed like to me. In a fit of curiosity, I looked at the schematic and found that they had permanently wired a bright cap on the clean channel. Some may like the bright cap sound (and that is fine of course), but I do not.

I slightly modded channel 3 already (removing the local feedback on one of the tube stages as described in that old saturation thread) and really liked the results. I've modded and built amps (no need for warnings). I'm just looking to see if anyone else has done it. Did you like it? Any problems in doing it? I haven't opened it up yet to do it, but thought I'd ask.

I'm thinking it would take what is a fairly Fendery channel and make it sound more like my vintage Fenders (at least in the ballpark).

Just posting an update for anyone who might be thinking of doing the same. Sounds way better now without the bright cap on channel 1. Has more than enough treble, but is able to be dialed in closer to my favorite Fender tones and takes overdrive and fuzz pedals better now.

I've removed the C39 cap (channel 3) from the Saturation Mod thread and did the jumper for the caps mentioned in it as well. The only thing left I'd like to do is figure out how to adjust the fixed "drive" control to be higher, since it is not adjustable like the earlier Marks. I think it was preset at something like 7.5, but channel 3 feels like it could use a little more.

Thanks for the update. If I ever need a change on Ch 1 , I ll come back to this thread 8) .

I have only done a 12AT7 tube swap and I personally like it better on V6 vs being on V4. Didn't have the icepick syndrome when I bought the amp but that's just my perception. However, Whatever sounds good to me might not sound good to someone else. Did make a video using my phone couple of years back - here is the video if you are interested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDLozNfO13U. I am not an accomplished guitar player but I feel the tone comes through quite nicely in the video..

Angle,

Thanks for the insight on this one. I'm noticing that my clean channel is also harsh, fizzy, and sizzly when using overdrive pedals. Did the removal of C39 help reduce fizziness on Channel 1?

Do you have a link in regards to this mod?
Do you or have you tried other values of caps, if so, what were your findings?
Are there any other interesting mods for your Mark V that you like?

A few things I'd like to see different about my Mark V:
Volume taper on Master Volume
Correct the no-volume from the first quarter-turn on the each of the channels
Shift values of the EQ on each of the channels to my taste, such as frequency affected, Q, and even narrow cut and boost range.

I know, it sounds like I don't like the amp, however, I really do. I'm just a tweaker at heart and see a potential to improve it more towards my own tastes.

Thanks,

Back