OFFICIAL MARK V TONE SETTINGS THREAD

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaGod666

Reaction score
This thread shall serve as the official MARK V SETTINGS thread until Ned (or whoever) puts up a tone settings page on the Grailtone site.

Passive pups sound better in the V than active EMG's. That's for sure. So here's my, "Leper Messiah" tone:

Chan. 3
Mark IIC+ Setting
CH 3 NORMAL
Gain 1.5 oclock
Master 10 oclock
Presence 10 oclock
Treble 2 oclock
Mid 9 oclock
Bass 9 oclock
Output 10 oclock
Pentode

EQ V
80hz mid way boosted
240hz 0 boost
750hz scooped mid way
2200hz 0 boost
6600hz 1/3 way boost

I am using Passive Pickups on a 1976 Les Paul

Channel One

Fat
Gain 9
Master Maximum
Presence 9
Treble 12:30
Mid 10
Bass 12
Bold
EQ Preset 2

Channel Two

Mark I
Gain 11
Master 12
Presence 2
Treble Maximum
Mid 9
Bass 9
EQ Preset Maximum
Mark I Normal

Channel Three

Mark II C+
Gain 3
Master Maximum
Presence Minimum
Treble 2:30
Mid 9:30
Bass 11:30
Bright Setting
Triode
Slider EQ
80Hz Top Line
240 Middle Line
750 Bottom Line
2200 One Third above the bottom line
6600 Half Way above the middle line

All 90 watts and full power

Do you guys think running the ch. masters high and lowering the master output is better than balancing the two? The way I have it setup right now is about noon on most of the masters and about 10-11:00 on the output. Wondering if there is a diff if I dime the ch. masters, and lower my output to about 9:00

I know in some amps this makes a difference.

PeeMonkey said:
Do you guys think running the ch. masters high and lowering the master output is better than balancing the two? The way I have it setup right now is about noon on most of the masters and about 10-11:00 on the output. Wondering if there is a diff if I dime the ch. masters, and lower my output to about 9:00

If you like it loud then more power to you. You can get really good tone out of 9 o'clock on output and masters. You EQ and T/M/B will add (or subtract) the tone volume as you see fit.

John Petrucci's Mark V Settings with a moderate mid scoop.

H/T: jdurso

20090511131347.jpg

PeeMonkey said:

The channel masters are another gain stage. I like the way it sounds on Channel 3 when it is maxed out.

90W extreme mode
typical V e.q.
presence 2 oclock
bass 9 oclock
mid 12 noon
treble 3 oclock
boosted with modified SD-1 pedal
BBE SonicMax NOT sounding too good
10 band e.q. not used

The IV and IIC+ modes just don't sound as tight and focused or saturated enough for me but extreme seems best so far........

Now that I'm actually home for a couple of weeks I'll get a settings DB up. Probably next weekend as I have no gigs.

Crunch mode
90w
Knob settings (o'clock)
Gain: 4
Presence: 9
Treble: 3
Mids: 10
Bass: 8:30
Master Volume: 9
Preset Knob: 1 (EQ sliders off)
Output 2

Metallica Black Album Tone

Mark IIC+ Setting CH3 Normal Switch
Gain: 4 O'clock
Master: 9.25 O'clock
Presence: 10 O'clock
Treble: 1.5 O'clock
Mid: 8.75 O'clock
Bass: 9.5 O'clock
Output: 9 O'clock
EQ ON
PRESET EQ ON
The parametric EQ on my MARK V still functions while the PRESET EQ is selected. So, my sliders are all at Zero except for 750 which is scooped all the way. Then the PRESET EQ is maxed out to the right at 5.5 O'clock.

EMG-81 Bridge

Sounds freaking awesome. I'll post a clip later.

Really?? man thats weird! (not in comparison to mine though because its still on the way haha)

Ok but does it apply to the third channel only?? else it will cause a HUGE problem.
Oh and if someone is using the graphic eq for other channels as well it will also be a big problem

By the way im talking about the graphic eq still working while having the thrid channel assigned to the contour preset..

That's interesting please give us more details!!

"John Petrucci's Mark V Settings with a moderate mid scoop.

H/T: jdurso"

As far as I knew JP has not been using the Mark V yet, according to folks on JP's site. Perhaps I am wrong. Where are these pics from?

Noonoo said:
"John Petrucci's Mark V Settings with a moderate mid scoop.

H/T: jdurso"

As far as I knew JP has not been using the Mark V yet, according to folks on JP's site. Perhaps I am wrong. Where are these pics from?

You are wrong my friend. Those pics are from a guitar demo he did recently. That's his personal rig.

I played my V for a few hours at the rehearsal rooms today and found the extreme setting really good.

Definitely need to do more tweaking, will do some tomorrow while my girlfriend is at work :) and then again on the weekend at the rehearsal rooms.

Here is a pic of my settings thus far. Hope it works.

Extreme.jpg

And here's what my sliders look like...

Presets.jpg

It's still a bit harsh so I'll keep tweaking.

Update - Extreme gain metal tone.

EXTREME MODE

EQ: on
Watts: 90

Gain: 4:30 (o'clock)
Master: 9:30
Presence: 12:00

Treble:3:30
Mid: 1:00
Bass 9:30

Output: Between 11:00 and 2:00

EQ

x.........................
.....x....................
.................x........
.........................x
...........x.............
80 240 750 2.2k 6.6k

Here are my settings for channels 2 and 3. Both are more for a clear, sustaining tone (my bandmate describes it as an Eric Johnson tone) that has plenty of gain on tap. I've been playing a JP6 with a D-Sonic into amp into an oversized 4x12 with V30's

Chan 2

Mark I
Thick
EQ on (preset to about 2 o'clock)
Gain 2:30
Master 2:00
Presence 10:00
Treble 1:00
Mids 10:30
Bass barely on

Chan 3

Mark II C+