Mark V: 25 Speaker choice & impedance

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve2014

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the UK and just received my Mini Mark V: 25 yesterday, in over 30 years of playing this only about the 3rd amp I have bought new and the most expensive! I am currently using it via the 8ohm output with a closed back Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 1x12 cab which contains a 16ohm Celestion V30. I had been previously using this cab with a H&K Tubemeister 18 head. I use a Strat & Tele and play what is best described as classic old school Rock/Prog.

I know Mesa recommend 8ohm as optimal, also the official video clips I like the tone of the Mesa cab with a 8ohm V30, so I am wondering how much difference it would make changing the speaker in the cab from a 16ohm to a 8ohm. I currently find the tone with this speaker a bit 'closed', dark, a bit like a blanket over the tone, yet at the same time very 'middy', which is the opposite to when I have been using it with the H&K. I know the V30 is known for it's mid hump so I am wondering should I try a 8ohm Classic 80 or 12H-30 or just get a 8ohm V30?

Over here the H&K 1x12 cab seems to be well thought of and I definitely want to stick with a 1x12 as I am at that age where my back needs as light as possible:) Plus over here the Mesa has cost a small fortune so I really do not have much cash to spend on speakers at the moment!

I appreciate that it is early days for me dialling my tone with the Mark V:25 but I was hoping for a 'Wow' when I first played this amp and it was more of a "Mmmmm" so I am prepared to spend just a little more cash to get get that "Wow".

I would appreciate any thoughts you guys might have.

Thanks

Steve

From the manual...

MESA/Boogie amplifiers can handle 4 and 8 ohms effectively. Never run below 4 ohms in a tube amplifier unless you are absolutely certain that the system can handle it properly; this can cause damage to the Output transformer. A few amplifiers can handle 2 ohms effectively without damaging them ( for example the MESA’S Bass 400+ ). You can always have a higher resistance ( 16 ohms, for example ) without damaging results, but too low of a resistance will likely cause problems.

MIS-MATCHING: When running a higher resistance ( for example: 8 ohm output into 16 ohm cabinet ), a slightly different feel and response will be eminent. A slight mismatch can provide a darker smoother tone with a little less output and attack. This response is a result of the amplifier running a bit cooler. Sometimes when using more than one cabinet a mismatch will be the only option.

Hi,

Yes I saw that in the manual, it is what made me think the thing I did not like about the Mark V:25 was caused by running it with a 16ohm speaker. As I have not had much experienced with Boogies or the various Celestion models I am unsure which speaker to choose. Although I have had many amps over the years, Marshall, Fender, Hiwatt, Wem, Engel to name but a few, I have not had much experience with swapping speakers. I have tended to just stick with whatever I had.

After listening to the various demos and reading reviews etc, I have concluded that the Vintage 30 is not for me and that I would prefer something more vintage voiced like the G12H 75 Creamback or the G12M 65 Creamback, although I have read some people saying the G12M 65 does not go well with Boogies.

Thanks

Steve

Yes, the 16-Ohm speaker will run the power stage cold, but I think you could probably compensate by turning up the presence.

If that doesn't work, I recommend trying the Fillmore (updated V30 design with less harsh mids but lots of nice breakup) or C90 (this is a super-nice clean, wide-range speaker).

Personally, I find the G12 models to be kind of dull and lifeless.

elvis said:
Yes, the 16-Ohm speaker will run the power stage cold, but I think you could probably compensate by turning up the presence.

If that doesn't work, I recommend trying the Fillmore (updated V30 design with less harsh mids but lots of nice breakup) or C90 (this is a super-nice clean, wide-range speaker).

Personally, I find the G12 models to be kind of dull and lifeless.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, interesting, turning up the presence on channel 1 seems to open out the sound, adds a bit of air, but on channel to it just seems to accentuate the mids, taking the presence & mid down to about 9'clock seems to help lose the harsh mids, warm things up a bit.

I had wondered about the Mesa C90 but seems impossible to buy them here in the UK, I would have to get one specially imported which would be expensive. So it would have to be something from the standard Celestion line here in the UK and it seems they do not do an equivalent of either the c90 or Fillmore. I had also wondered about the classic lead 80? The list on the left of this link show the current Celestions I can get here new: http://celestion.com/product/27/heritage_series_g12h75/

Thanks

Steve

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I just picked up a V:25 and am enjoying it. It came with the mini recto slant that has a Black Shadow MC90 in, which was a surprise as I thought it would have the V30 Mesa speaker. Reading up on the MC90, they don't recommend it in a closed back, non-vented cab so I'm not sure why it's in the mini recto slant.

I have a WGS reaper (30 W) and a pair of Weber Alnico Blue Dog (50W) that I could roll but am selling a 2*12 cab with one of these three speakers in it so need to decide ASAP and don't have time to play around extensively. I don't play hi gain, mainly clean fenderish rock with some crunch on channel 2.

Any suggestions? My current thought is to pair an Alnico Blue with the Reaper, put another Blue in the 1*12 closed back, and put the MC90 in the 2*12 I'm selling (other speaker is an eminence patriot blue Tick Hound).

I am really inexperienced with speakers so appreciate any input.

I have the V30 in my mini recto slant, and have a 25. I also have the v90's in my 2/12. My mini was a bit tight sounding and I made a 3/4 back for that cab, I like it so much better, a little more "Airy". I got the Idea from a guy who took a 3" hole saw and put 3 holes in the back of his. As for the V90's, they are in my 2/12 and sound great, never heard of the needing to be ported, my cab is ported, but it's a Genz-Benz George Lynch cab. The "Best" speaker I have and I use it with my MKV90, is the EM12 200watter, Super nice warm glassy cleans, plus it will break up however much you want to push it. The reaper, blue dog are all, I'm gonna say blues type speakers. Earlier breakup, you don't really need those with a MK5:25 cause your already there. I like the 30's and 90's equally, they can be a little dark, that can be EQ'd, so no problem there. But for me the Legend EM12 200w, really takes the cake. I've been thru a **** ton of speakers and those are pretty what I've settled on after 40 years.

Back