RockCrusher to Mark V / EVH speaker question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdtattoo86

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post here. I'm currently running a Mark V 35 Combo with an EVH 5150 III 1x12 extension cab. Per Mesa's instructions - I run the 8 ohm combo speaker cable into the 4 ohm jack on the combo; and the 16 ohm extension cab is plugged into the 8 ohm jack of the amp. A safe mismatch according to Mesa.

Now I'm curious - is it possible to use a RockCrusher with this setup? The RockCrusher has an 8/16 ohm impedance switch which I would run at 8 ohms. It has (2) 8 ohm speaker outs - so I'm wondering if I can run one output to the 8 ohm Mesa 1x12 and one to the 16 ohm EVH Cab? And if so - would it be the same as my normal connection? (1) 8 ohm from the RockCrusher to the 4 ohm input of the combo, and the 2nd 8 ohm RockCrusher output to the 16 ohm EVH cab?

I'm guessing this setup will be a million times more straightforward if I switch out the EVH for something like a Mesa Thiele 1x12 cab - but until I sell the EVH and find an 8 ohm cab - is this possible/safe?

Alternatively - I have a Mesa 4x12 Recto Slant Cab I run an Orange through - I guess I could use the 4x12 as the Mark V extension and run the EVH with the Orange but who knows! Open to suggestions.

Run the amp's 8 ohm out to the 8 ohm input of the Rock Crusher. As far as the amp is concerned, that's your speaker load now.

Run the combo speaker and/or the EVH cab and/or your 4x12 off of the Rock Crusher's speaker outputs.

If you're using the Rock Crusher to cut volume, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me to use two cabs, but you do you man :)

Latest posts

Back