I don't love my Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats why theres a big external graphic EQ on top of the amp, it ALL coming from the hands, right? 8)

Seriously though:
Its true that its a 'what you put in to it' thing too, but some of it IS actually what you're putting it out through too. This is why we use Boogies instead of Line6 spider stuff. :p

Markageddon said:
Thats why theres a big external graphic EQ on top of the amp, it ALL coming from the hands, right? 8)

Seriously though:
Its true that its a 'what you put in to it' thing too, but some of it IS actually what you're putting it out through too. This is why we use Boogies instead of Line6 spider stuff. :p

I shouldve been more clear..

What i meant is that the Mark V is a beast of an amp were not talking line 6 garbage here.
The clips obviously try to emulate tallicas sound and for that youlld need an outboatd eq of some sort.
Btw even an mark iic+ in its own is not a metal beast, it actually pretty gainless compared to later models... Point being that all the sound hes trying to emulates come from a variety of stuff not just the amp in itself.

Markageddon said:
I did wonder if the el34s would 'mid it up/de-rumble' a bit more on MK1... would you say thats the case, Wayne?

Yeah definitely. I didn't notice ch1 suffering like a lot of people have mentioned either. Maybe slight tweak to the eq but that's all. EL34s really helped cut through the other guitarists massively too loud line 6 spider too, which was definitely a blessing!

The Mark Vs Line6 anything in a competitive situ = "Shut out", "Quintessential stompment", "Annhilation", "Ohhhh the humanity", "Stopppp!! Stopppppp!!!! Hes already dead!!!!", and "Hes dead, Jim..!!!".

...just responding to the subject line:

The only thing about my Mark V I don't like is carrying it. Other than that, we's all good! 8)

I know this is an old thread but I thought to input some information I have discovered on here. I had the same problem as this fellow, I did not like the Mark V at all when I first got it(it had MOMENTS of brilliance allongside hours of well, not really anything worth hearing. I tube rolled (v-1 and v-3 especially powerful for my needs) and finally went out and bought a Triaxis. Lacking a power amp for the Triaxis I slaved my two amp heads to be the power section. Triaxis to a TSL1oo left channel and Mark V right channel, and played this way for awhile (yes I know a Mark V 90 watt as nothing more than a power amp, WHAT SACRILEGE)....HOWEVER using the amp this way SERIOUSLY abused the power section (*really broke it in) and lo and behold all issues gone, The power section on these amps needs some serious breaking in...After all this I went to sell the amp and stuck in the cheapest set of JJ's I had along with the (I thought) somewhat ragged power tubes I had been using and played it to make sure it was up to snuff, and well, to say that it has NOW all the tone I ever could want is an understatement (it almost has too much harmonic content now). These amps serious;ly need some (read ALOT) time to break in properly (BTW I bought this amp used from a touring musician who couldn't get it to sound right for him, so it IS a common problem that can/wll go away). (tweed CAN have enough gain to be a high gain monster if set up right, Channel 3 becomes devastating(I could bnever get the gain levels up to mark iv territory and now it is easy)seriously try this if you do not beleive me (leave your amp on for 24-48 hours just idling and see if it makes any difference, if you think this is bad, Mesa Boogie did this to mine and it helped (it is the first thing they do if they ever take it in is set it to idle for a day or two...if they know it, why shouldn't you!!)
(I would add one PS to everything I said, I use celestion g12t-75's in my marshall 1960A & B cabs, I do not beleive this makes much difference if you know how to use an EQ, but some on here SWEAR by vintage 30's (they also complain of icepick which is nothing I suffer from!!!))

I just got this amp this week. Bought new. Mark V 90 combo. I swear it had more gain when I first played it... When you say let it at idle, you mean power on and standby set to off like you would when you are warming up the amp when you first turn it on?
I love the tightness, but also love the total saturation of my Marshall JVM combo. I can see how the Mark V would come out in a mix easier than the Marshall. I've been using an EHX Soul Food or Tube Screamer to get the sound I like. Settings on the pedals is just all knobs at noon. Those 2 pedals stacked on the clean channels is awesome!

Back