Thinking bout a LoneStar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarebitusa

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
So currently have a IIC+ HR and a MkV:90... dig em both... albeit they are quite different. It's been quite a while since I've played a LS, which was actually before I got the V. Didn't spend alot of time on it either and to be honest wasn't really completely understanding it's purpose then. However recent vids are rekindling my interest, as I'm looking now to add a more focused Fenderish cleans/breakup to what I have now.

Before any LS GAS overtakes me, was wondering what MkV settings would come close to a LSC or LSS? have read Ch1 Fat & Ch 2 Mk1 are where to start. That sounds about right, but other details would be appreciated from those who have perhaps had both. The desire is to kinda dwell on those V settings for a while so they sink in and I have a mental base to evaluate a real LS by... Hope this makes sense. TIA

I'd guess LSC would be closer to the V because LSC is 6L6 based where as LSS is el84. Would expect the 6L6 to be bolder and the el84 to bounce more.

iceman said:
I'd guess LSC would be closer to the V because LSC is 6L6 based where as LSS is el84. Would expect the 6L6 to be bolder and the el84 to bounce more.

I actually spent some time recently with the Ch 1 Fat and Ch 2 Mk1 voicings on the V attempting to get a feel for that LS tonality and feel. It hasn't been my typical setup in the past since I use Ch 2 Crunch... but am digging it now. As you mention el84s, recently I'm thinking for variety the LSS may be a good addition just to get that tone in the mix. Haven't really had a good el84 based amp to mess with either.

I'd like to add an EL84 amp to my arsenal as well. I keep adding more marks though :lol: . I really liked the TA15/30. Also had a lot of fund with DR Maz18.

iceman said:
I'd like to add an EL84 amp to my arsenal as well. I keep adding more marks though :lol: . I really liked the TA15/30. Also had a lot of fund with DR Maz18.

oh yea I get the mark addiction :lol: never tried el34s in the V... but TBH from comparisons, to my ears, it didn't seem like a huge difference. OTOH the LSS with el84's do seem to have more distinction from the 6L6 based sound.

Well not thinking about it anymore :) was fortunate to pickup a Special head today and wow I do dig this amp.. alot. Just playing thru an old 1x12 EVM open-back for the moment, IMHO it is all it's cracked up to be. The el84s are a great fit with the current 6L6 based squad, the voicings around the drive are subtle but effective. Plus I welcome the simplicity... don't get me wrong, I love tweaking on my V... but this gets you to a nice spot quickly without much dinking around. I look forward to really getting to know this puppy.

Back