Lonestar problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Komadinic

Reaction score
So I've had my LSC 2x12 for a couple of years. I love it, but i wanted to try a different flavor. Saw you guys talking about a combo of 6v6s and yellow jackets el84s and decided to bite the bullet and now my amp hums constantly. It's louder in 100w and it's not affected by volume, only going to stand by gets rid of it.

Never had this issue while i ran 6l6s and I'm sure i did everything you guys have said so I'm kinda lost and not sure how to proceed

All help is appreciated

Does the amp hum if you put the 6L6s back in it? Did you get the correct version of the Yellow Jacket (I don't know a lot about them, just that there are several different versions).

Don said:
Does the amp hum if you put the 6L6s back in it? Did you get the correct version of the Yellow Jacket (I don't know a lot about them, just that there are several different versions).

Yes to both. Got the yjs yellow sockets and it does hum with 6l6s now. Worst comes to worst I'll take it to a technician, it's just quite pricey in NYC and i was hoping there's a fix i can accomplish myself

I can't speak to all the LSCs but the early ones had problems with the screen grid resistors blowing if the power or rectifier tubes got a little iffy. The end result could be a partially working but sometimes noisy amp.

I have a very early SN LSC v1 that suffered a tube fail which, I later discovered, blew 2 of 4 screen grid resistors. The amp worked at lower volume but as soon as it was turned up it would hum and drop out. After a close inspection I found the damaged resistors. Per instruction from Mesa, I ended up replacing all the screen resistors with higher wattage units. Since having to perform this repair on mine, I have always been VERY careful with tubes in it.

You could open it up and check to see if there is damage to the screen grid resistors. There are several post here and other forums about this problem.

Latest posts

Back