Lone Star Classic Combo Caster Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srobertson59

Reaction score
I am a recent owner of a used Lone Star Classic Combo. Man is this thing heavy! I've searched for where they've hid the lead, but have been unable to locate it. My LSC came with the Track-lok tracks installed on the bottom of the amp, but not with the casters themselves. I have no clue what size to acquire. From the Mesa website, I see they have 2", 3", and 4" options available. Is this personal preference or is there a specific size that I need?

I've tried the local hardware and big box stores. I came very close with a 3" caster that the only problem was that the top (the part that faces the amp bottom and release button) was not flat. When inserted into the track, it stopped firmly at the indention where the caster swivels from.

Are the casters that come on the LS (or available from Mesa) flat on top or am I just a baby and afraid to pound the sucker into the channel beyond the button (and hope that it comes off)?

Words of wisdom, encouragement, and chiding are all welcome.
(BTW...this thing is a tone-machine! Completely happy with it!)

-SSR

My LSS came castorless. I eventually found someone selling sets on ebay. They only had a limited amount and pretty sure they all got sold. I ended up with a set with 3" diameter wheels. Judging by photos I have seen this is larger than would normally be supplied and I think that is no bad thing. The top of the plate on the castors is actually concave, recessed if you will, so the swivel part is not touching the plate. It sounds like the ones you tried had a 'bump' and therefore would not slide in; I wouldn't think it a good idea to force them on.

Give Mesa Boogie a call. They will tell you what you need.

brucesinger said:
You should be able to use any caster that fits in the channel. Try Home Depot.

Well, I've found casters that have the right diameter of the plate that slides into the channels of the base plates. The top of the caster has a depression where the bearing for the wheel is. When I put that caster into the channel of the base plate on the amp, it slides in over the spring-loaded button, and when the button reaches that recess of the caster plate, it stops. The really odd part is that I can get the caster back off, but advancing it forward into the channel to allow the button to hold the caster in is the issue. I've tried everything but taking a rubber mallet to it.

So I guess the real question is: Are the Mesa casters totally flat on top or do they have a recess that affects the keeper button too? Maybe I'm being too 'gentle' and not forcing the issue? How much force is required to get the caster beyond that button into a 'locked' position?

Hope these pics help. A bit blurry as I don't have my 'good' camera to hand at the moment. The 'plates' on the castors are 2mm thick btw.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Thanks for the pix! That certainly helps as I can now see that the casters you use have the same type of indentation where the wheel swivels from as I had purchased. I guess I'm just not forcing the caster into the channel hard enough. Time to man-up and give it another go. What's the worst that can happen...they get permanently stuck on the amp...and I have to buy a new car to fit the amp into. Hmmmm....

My castor that came with my Lonestar classic is different than that pic. Mine has the dent but the middle has a round part that comes up even with the rest of the base that does not allow the button to go in the dent. I would maybe try a thin metal shim to cover the indent. I have a pic of mine on my pc but dont know how to get it on here

To the OP, my castors slide on and off quite easily, no force required.

tle4, to post pics you need to upload them to a photo sharing site. I use photobucket. When you have them uploaded you simply click on the share image link, and paste the link into your post.

My castors do look a bit different to others I have seen. I bought them from a cab maker who had several sets he had never used so maybe they are an older version? Not sure but they work great.

tle4 said:
My castor that came with my Lonestar classic is different than that pic. Mine has the dent but the middle has a round part that comes up even with the rest of the base that does not allow the button to go in the dent. I would maybe try a thin metal shim to cover the indent. I have a pic of mine on my pc but dont know how to get it on here

Actually that is a very good suggestion. The button is probably getting stuck in the 'dent'. Try gluing a thin bit of tin can metal or similar over the 'dent'.

I was thinking maybe a penny or nickle in the hole might keep the button from going in if they fit in there.... Here is a pic

0225121140.jpg

Thanks for all the help and pictures. I wound up taking the casters back to where I purchased them from. They simply would slide in as far as the button, but no further than that. The really odd part is that I could always remove the caster, just not advance it. The one thing I did notice thanks to the pictures was that everyone had square caster plates. The set that I found at a Tractor Supply store were rectangular, though fit the channels. I guess ultimately if I had been able to advance the caster beyond the keeper button, it wouldn't have locked into place as it would have always kept the keeper button compressed.

So I finally just gave in and ordered the 3" replacements from Mesa. Probably should have done that from the get-go as I'm sure I wasted any 'savings' in gasoline and time involved.

Update to Situation:

Well, the Mesa casters came in and what do you know...they slide in just like they should. No hesitation when the center of the caster meets the keeper button. I almost dislocated my shoulder trying to slide the darn thing in expecting the resistance of the 'non-Mesa' casters. Funny thing is that the Mesa caster looks to have more of a pronounced indentation where the bearings are in the center of the caster plate than what I had purchased prior.

Oh well...no need to try to solve the mystery...just chalk that one up to the same category that I put women into...the 'Does Not Make Sense' category (with a subcategory of ‘Still Trying To’…though). Now on to more important things like...wait a minute...what's more important that music and women? Hmmm....oh yeah...a PAYCHECK! :wink:

Just wanted to say that I appreciated everyone’s input to my situation...

It was a long tille ago but…
Can anyone tell me what’s the size of the casters ?
I’d like to find some compatible for my LSS.
Thanks !

Latest posts

Back