Express 5:25 vs 5:25+ hiss level

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoffy

Reaction score
Hi guys, has anyone of you had a chance to compare Mesa Express 5:25 (the first version) with the later 5:25+ (with the EQ)? Is the white noise / hiss level the same on both? I had a 5:25+ which was quite hissy, but the hiss was acceptable for me. I sold it and regretted it later on. Now I am considering getting the first version instead, but if it has more hiss than the plus version, it would bother me. If the hiss level is the same, I wil be OK with that. Thanks a lot!

Hi.

I had main hiss and rattles. At home, not in the repair shop and varying during gigs. Long doubted ill tube connections.

Did a complete Mesa tube swap. No effect.
Did a non Mesa but matched power set swap. No effect. Decided to live with it as a "cheaper Mesa" side effect. Wrongfully.

Changed the base 5:25 for a plus for reasons of the better clean channel, Mesa EQ and power modes. Only costed mee 300€ extra. They are a steal.

For a period I owned both in parallel. And sidectested them. Yes: the Plus is more silent, mainly on the Clean mode.

BUT. The hiss and rattle I got solved for 95% by adding a high audio quality power extension cable, providing with filter, a stabilizer and a phase inverter. Job done!! Dead silent in all conditions. Bougth two of them. One for my home and one for the road.

It s an amplifier. It amplifies any distortion. Also the ones coming from bad transformers, nearby phones or any transmitter.

Last edited:
The hiss and rattle I got solved for 95% by adding a high audio quality power extension cable, providing with filter, a stabilizer and a phase inverter. Job done!! Dead silent in all conditions. Bougth two of them. One for my home and one for the road.
Welcome to the forum.

You should share your source for this cable to help others that may have noise issues and want to try your approach.

I’m also curious about this cable, I suppose the ‘filter’ is a ferrite bead, I wonder what is being used as a ‘stabilizer’ and a ‘PI’. I’ve never seen a voltage stabilizer built into a cable.

Dom

Hi guys, has anyone of you had a chance to compare Mesa Express 5:25 (the first version) with the later 5:25+ (with the EQ)? Is the white noise / hiss level the same on both? I had a 5:25+ which was quite hissy, but the hiss was acceptable for me. I sold it and regretted it later on. Now I am considering getting the first version instead, but if it has more hiss than the plus version, it would bother me. If the hiss level is the same, I wil be OK with that. Thanks a lot!
I have a 5/25 as well. Mine doesn’t hiss, but the tone sounds staticy for lack of a better word. All modes, with or without od in front. Did yours do the same?

Welcome to the forum.

You should share your source for this cable to help others that may have noise issues and want to try your approach.

I’m also curious about this cable, I suppose the ‘filter’ is a ferrite bead, I wonder what is being used as a ‘stabilizer’ and a ‘PI’. I’ve never seen a voltage stabilizer built into a cable.

Dom
Hi Dom.

Of course I'm willing to share. Didn't see the reply earlier.

I'm living in the Netherlands, so in the EU 240Volts world - for starter.

I'm using a Brennestuhl - Germany Premium PROTECT-Line TOP Quality (sorry for repeating all the nasty Marketing mumbo-jumbo) "Überspannungschutz Surge Protection" (on 60.000A - whatever that may mean) power strip / that also encompasses a T 16A - 250V fuse and a (Em/RF) HF-filter, filtering noise between 0.15 and 300 MHz, peaking at 10 Mhz.

I'm not a electronics technician - but I can simply repeat all the tech details the device lists:
- 60.000 A
- 3m H05VV-F 3G1,5
- max: 3680W/16A/230V~
- SPD-Typ 3, Uc = 250V ~
- L-N Uoc = 10 KV, Up = 1,5 kV
- L/N-PE Uoc = 10 kV, Up = 1,8 kV

I got rid of all my nasty noises and I feel that both the HF-filter does ea decent job and the distortions in the 220V power delivery is evened out. And since an amplifier is as good as his net power delivery, it seems to help quite a lot. And - as a bonus - I guess my gear is protected from near by lightning strikes and resulting surges in the power grid.

Did set me back some 60 or 80 euros or so. Got two: one for the road and one for at home. Found it looking for noise reduction in high quality HiFi audio amplifiers setups. Learned that there are people that - in order to achieve max noise reduction levels - implement a full extra power grid cable infrastructure in their home. I have some decent audio sets (NAD and BOSE) but never got that far ... This power strip is used in these contexts: to allow for maxmimum noise reduction from your power grid. ANd since our guitar amplifier is a simple amplifier at best ...

At least now at home I have the same stable and noiseless Express outcomes that I've seen in the best (gig and guitar / repair shop) circumstances.
Hope it might help you as well.

Power filtering/conditioning is the best thing you can do for your rig, don’t skimp, get a good one, you’ll be glad you did. My rig is always dead silent regardless of where we play. I use a voltage regulator/power conditioner unit, keeps my mains voltage to the amp consistent and filters out any power line noise as well as surge protection.

Thanks for sharing!

Dom

Power filtering/conditioning is the best thing you can do for your rig, don’t skimp, get a good one, you’ll be glad you did. My rig is always dead silent regardless of where we play. I use a voltage regulator/power conditioner unit, keeps my mains voltage to the amp consistent and filters out any power line noise as well as surge protection.

Thanks for sharing!

Dom
Hey team, Dom, What Voltage Regulator/ Conditioner are you using? Seems like i may need one. No consistency with my amp. At home. Not gigging. Thanks!!.

Thanks for sharing!

Dom
Ty! Does that Furman filter out line noise you think? I've been using the Furman Power Factor Pro for years. its suppose to lower AC impedance and keep amperage in reserve. Whatever that means! It says line filtering but eh, I don't know. I still get some buzzing depending on my proximity to gear. Even with EMG'S. Thought EMG'S were supposed to be quiet. But my amp may need serviced.

Back