Express 5/50 FX knob and volume issues

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idlehand

Reaction score
Hello all

I have a 5/50 that produces almost no power/volume in the 5watt mode. I have to turn the volume and gain the whole way up on the second channel (burn) to get a barely playable volume. You can't hear the clean channel unless it is on crunch, and then it is still very low overall volume.

If I turn the FX knob on the back to the perfect spot (~1-o'clock), it produces decent volume -- almost night and day, but still a good bit less than I expect. On the clean channel, I need to turn the gain halfway to play, and it gets a bit dirty. It almost feels like the Master volume does very very little and the gain is what drives the volume at the moment.

If you turn the FX knob on the back just slightly one way or the other, just about all the volume cuts out, almost like a dirty pot. I did use some contact cleaner on it, to no avail. That was before I tested this next thing, however.

Now, if I switch to 50 watt mode, the amp sounds pretty awesome. The thing is, when you turn the FX knob on 50watt mode, it acts as a volume knob, and smoothly lowers or increases the volume. No cutting in or out. It is smooth, and exactly how I'd expect it to work for both channels.

So the issue seems to be with the 5watt mode only when using that knob produces no volume and slight cutting in and out unless you hit the 1 o'clock spot perfectly, then it has some volume.

I changed the power tubes today after ordering them the same day I got the amp. I tried using a patch cable in the sends and returns in the back with no change.

I was wondering if this was the FX return preamp tube -- but I'm guessing that would affect both channels the same. I'm still not sure the 50 watt mode is producing as much volume as it should. From what I heard, these even on the 5 watt mode should be quite loud.

Mesa said to send it in. Unfortunately, I have no certified Mesa techs within a 150 miles or so.

Curious if anyone has had similar issues.

Thanks for reading.

Back