Noise gate to remove hiss on clean channel, upgrade to plus?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john525

Reaction score
Hello fellow Boogers :mrgreen: I simply love the clean channel on my Express 5:25 (1st gen), except for that pesky background shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (hiss). I've been assured by Mesa that this is a normal "feature" of these amps, and seen a lot of grief posted here regarding this. It really hasn't been anything but a pet peeve up to this point, but I am getting more into accompanying acoustic musicians (amplified-acoustics, that is), jazz, and a bit of home recording, so having a lower noise floor is becoming more important.

Now, I've heard some say the hiss is gone in the 5:25+, while others say it is there. Note, I'm specifically referring to the 5:25+, and specifically the clean channel - I expect some amount of noise on the higher gain channels/modes. If there is consensus that this issue has been resolved in the plus, I'd actually be inclined to to "trade-up", as it were.

Of course the other (much cheaper) option I have seen recommended is to put a noise gate in the loop. This seems like a no-brainer solution when it comes to high-gain scenarios, but I'm curious how this might work on the clean channel. Will it affect dynamics? (think atmospheric volume swells with delay and reverb where the decay is really long). My understanding of noise gates is that they are only engaged when not playing, so it wouldn't do anything for the background hiss when playing / recording.

I'd really appreciate to hear anyone's experience using a noise gate in this type of low-gain scenario.

I guess I just want my cake, and eat it too.
Cheers all!

J

Hi John, I understand you. When the first Express came out, I didn't buy it for the same reasons that you indicate : to much hiss on the clean channel. And I mostly play jazz, so...
The Express 5:25+ is quite something else : I bought it and I don't see when I'm going to depart from it. I rarely turn the gain more than 12 o'clock and the hiss on the clean is almost imperceptible. For sure, if you crank the volume way up, you will hear something but, I think, it's only normal with tubes. In a small to medium room, at a normal "jazz volume" this amp is perfect (and, mostly important, the clean on this amp is superb).

GuyB said:
Hi John, I understand you. When the first Express came out, I didn't buy it for the same reasons that you indicate : to much hiss on the clean channel. And I mostly play jazz, so...
The Express 5:25+ is quite something else : I bought it and I don't see when I'm going to depart from it. I rarely turn the gain more than 12 o'clock and the hiss on the clean is almost imperceptible. For sure, if you crank the volume way up, you will hear something but, I think, it's only normal with tubes. In a small to medium room, at a normal "jazz volume" this amp is perfect (and, mostly important, the clean on this amp is superb).

Thank you for the info, GuyB. So a big +1 for the +. I admit I was hoping to hear this, although my bank account may beg to differ...

I don't know what will happen with the price of used 5:25+ since the Express line is now out of production.

I have an Express 5:25+ head and it hisses as well. Rolling preamp tubes has helped, but it still has not gotten rid of all the hiss. I've been told it's the nature of the beast. My Tweaker 15 head and Orange Rocker are both dead quiet compared to the Express. That said, at band volume it's not noticeable. My 2 cents....

Al

5:25+
I have a Zoom G3 in my effects loop. I use it for an occasional flange for modulation, my delay, my tuner and my noise reduction. On my board it stays in the 3 stompbox display mode not rolling patches. The Zoom ZN noise reduction is really excellent and transparent and I have to have it just barely dialed in. I have no noise. It's been forever since I played it with that but don't remember any noise issues just guitar and amp.

Latest posts

Back