My Express 5:25 review

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Womack

Reaction score
I run a little informational site devoted to guitars and recording and do a few equipment reviews. A link to it is in my signature. Because I bought an Express 5:25 at the beginning of December, I decided to write up a review of the amp and post it to the site. I borrowed most of the pics off Google and the Mesa site, though I added a pic of the new power tube cage on my own amp. You can find the review HERE . Tell me what you think! I'll be publishing it for general consumption soon.

Bob

Cool write up. Glad to hear you like your Express 5:25. I'm very happy with mine, she covers a lot of musical areas for one guitar amp.

The third picture of the PCB guts on your page is my amp in fact. I tool the picture in March 2010.

I really like the new tube cage. I have seen the amp work while one tube was loose and didn't like that. But at least I know and check that before playing now.

I added a fan to mine too. I find it absolutely necessary.

That's a nice gesture, thanks. But it's cool to leave it as is. If you ever get famous and use it in a mag though, give me a holler, I have the original for better definition. Then you could mention my name which no one will know anyway. LOL

Really nice write up. I hadn't realized there was a cage modification. I have had an issue or two with the tubes getting bumped and always check them during gig setups.

This is by far the best review on the Mesa Express and I believe I've found them all. Can't say much more than that...freaking AWESOME review and thanks. I actually learned quite a bit about the amp I own from it (5:50 combo). Thank you!

By the way...regarding the cage mod. Is this something you can call (and purchase if necessary) from Mesa?

Thanks again for the kind comments. I hear that the cage was a mid-course correction, that the units shipped overseas had this and the U.S. units had the bar and they simply standardized the line. I got that from user ifailedshapes on THIS thread here. I don't know if you could buy one. Does someone here care to call the factory and find out?

Bob

Hey there Bob,

Indeed, as others have said, great writeup! Accurate, articulate, with good insight on how to approach a Boogie. Lots on forums deride Mesas en masse because they "require tweaking" to get a "decent" tone. LOL ...there is truth there, but as you state the reward is great tones and great versatility. Nice of you to mention that. FWIW, once I wrapped my mind around how to approach a Boogie, I was hooked on both their tones and (here it comes again) the versatility their amps bring to the player! That was well over a decade ago. Not a lover of every Mesa, mind you, but lets just say I've had many more positives than otherwise!

I also appreciate your comments at the end with regard to RMS, or any standard (or lack thereof) for that matter. In my humble experience as a Boogie enthusiast, Mesas are one of the most conservatively rated amps I have ever experienced. Any of their amps rated at x watts simply seem louder than others, if not most, rated equally. Either Mesa is abiding more by the "standard," or others are, er, very liberal in their approach to badging their amps. My 5:25 10 combo gives up nothing in terms of usable gig volume to my DC5 12" widebody combo. And for that matter, my beloved DC5 has hung with others' bigger toys with aplomb. Gotta love Randall and company for making great tone machines that are more than just loud, but offered in many different flavors, are tonally versatile, and built to outlast a nuclear winter. Ok, so that last one may be a bit overstated ...but only by a bit ;)

Edward

Good review. I have not heard anyone talk about gain and compression in regards to the Express before. Personally I find the gain quite compressed compared to some amps. Nothing wrong with that, it is just interesting comparing to other amps...

I would also like to Know how Mesa measure and rate the power of their amps. I think most people would be surprised if they knew what the actual power output from the Express 5:25 is. After having measured mine I can tell you it is not close to the rating, peak, RMS or otherwise. The 5 watt mode in particular is way off.

The reg requiring an RMS value for equipment was abolished as hi-fi equipment manufacturers began coming out with systems such as Mesa's Dyna-Watt that allowed the amps to put out more sound than the RMS rating would reflect. Manufacturers argued that in the age of digital audio with its low noise floors and wide dynamic range, the necessity for an amp to put out steady-state power was eclipsed by the need for dynamic power capability. Of course, the downside is that now one simply has no idea whatsoever what standard a manufacturer is working with. Amp manufacturers still have to explain that they've engineered their amps to be louder than the rating might suggest. Oh well, old farts unite. :D

Bob

If we're going to be fixing that statement, the actual weight of the Express 5:25 with the 12" Celestion V30 is 35 Lbs.

I've read it many times and I just put mine on the scale. It's 36.6 lbs with all the cables stowed, the additional fan, and cover on. ****'d if I can find it in print right now though.

Hi, FXR. I took my measurements from the Mesa/Boogie Pro Net Price List February 2010. The 5:35 was listed with the V30 on page one. The dimension list is on the last page under the heading "Unboxed Weights and Dimensions." I got a copy of this booklet from my dealer along with the catalog.

Bob

Ten pounds makes a big difference. I'm wondering how they got there and I sure wish I could find where I read the 35. But I know 5:25 is 35. Go figure.

My first post ever on the Board. I played a LSS 4x10 for a couple of years in a 5pc classic rock cover band and gigged out steadily. I think I suffered every issue the LSS is known to have. Fuses, power tube, pre-amp tube, and rectifier tube issues. Finally I lost the reverb tank. These spread themselves out over the course of 2 years. I finally chalked it up to an unreliable platform with too much stuff going on in a small box. Plus, a one-owner, unmolested 1965 Super Reverb came up at my local shop. I made the deal and never looked back. No regrets. The Super is an amazing amp. The band has peacefully dissolved after 15+ years together. But in January I had a little session at my house and felt the need for a lower powered channel switching amp...what else would I think of??? Mesa! Your review steered me in the direction of the Express series. I have a 5:25+ combo and also impulsively snagged a Mark V 25 combo. Now to decide, because one has to go. Thanks for such a comprehensive review!

My first post ever on the Board. I played a LSS 4x10 for a couple of years in a 5pc classic rock cover band and gigged out steadily. I think I suffered every issue the LSS is known to have. Fuses, power tube, pre-amp tube, and rectifier tube issues. Finally I lost the reverb tank. These spread themselves out over the course of 2 years. I finally chalked it up to an unreliable platform with too much stuff going on in a small box. Plus, a one-owner, unmolested 1965 Super Reverb came up at my local shop. I made the deal and never looked back. No regrets. The Super is an amazing amp. The band has peacefully dissolved after 15+ years together. But in January I had a little session at my house and felt the need for a lower powered channel switching amp...what else would I think of??? Mesa! Your review steered me in the direction of the Express series. I have a 5:25+ combo and also impulsively snagged a Mark V 25 combo. Now to decide, because one has to go. Thanks for such a comprehensive review!

Latest posts

Back