New Express 5:25 Owner

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrKev

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Well hello to all. This is my 1st post!

I just got a good deal on a used Express 5:25 1x12 in what looks like British Tan Bronco. Photo at the end of the post. Wonderful sounds and I'm really enjoying exploring everything it can do. I have three questions I have not yet been able to find an answer to...

1) No working Contour control - I cannot find a single prior post on the forum where somebody solved the problem! Mine looks like everything works fine, switching and LEDs work as expected, but no change with Contour knob position on either channel. Did anyone ever solve this?

2) Reverb tone shifts. Quite dramatic actually. big mid scoop from 8 o'clock to 10 o'clock, then kinda normal, and big treble and volume boost from 2 o'clock up. This effect is independent of master volume controls. Any ideas?

3) The foot switch still works even when the front panel switch is set to Ch. 1. Is that a problem that needs fixing?

And the photos...

The amp was horribly filthy when I got it and stank of years of smokers. An hour with household cleaner and nail brush and two nights airing on my balcony, and it's clean and odor-free. Chassis and interior are perfect, not a scratch or bump and no signs of burning or repairs. Grille cloth and leather corners will be replaced soon. For future reference - the Marshall / Orange style basketweave cane grille cloth is far too thick and the baffle plus piping won't fit properly back on the cab. Just go for the Mesa replacement. Might just go with cream piping too.

https://ibb.co/P1T63yX
https://ibb.co/PTK7tvQ

Welcome! This board is pretty mellow these days so the more the merrier!

I can't help you much with your questions, sorry about that.

But, that amp looks to in pretty awesome shape...especially based on what you described of the original condition. Congrats!

Are you the DrKev over on the EBMM board?

I thought the name looked familiar!

1) The Countour was very subtle on my Express 5:25s, more noticeable on my Express 5:50. I don't know if that's common.

2) I never had any issues with the reverb and had it set around 8:30-9:00 typically. I know that reverb circuits can act really weird when the cables are swapped, though you don't usually get reverb in that case. Maybe a tube issue? I'd try others. Also, maybe the reverb pan has been replaced and is the wrong impedance.

3) I don't recall how my Expresses worked, but I don't believe this is an issue.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the new amp!

Hi guys! Thanks for the welcome. Yes, it's Kev from the EBMM forum.

I have a troubleshooting request in with Mesa and they responded impressively quickly. They sent more recent 2010 revision of the Express schematics and they'll discuss my issues with engineers on the floor and get back to me. Very cool.

Great call on the reverb impedance, Don. I'll definitely check that out. Thanks!

I initially had assumed the reverb cables that came with the amp were a home made job by the previous owner. I replaced them with standard RCA cables without realising that they were in fact original and the reverb input cable should be ungrounded! That said, I have now disconnected the ground on that cable and it makes no difference.

I have a new grille cloth which I will install this afternoon. I got cream-colored piping too but it's whiter than I hoped and 5 mm maybe too thick. More photos to come later!

DrKev said:
The reverb tank is correct (9AB2A1B, MESA part number 499122) and correctly wired.

The reverb is tube driven. Is the correct rube installed?

I'm sorry to butt in. What email did you use for tech advise? I need some theory on an Express 5:25. Working on a customer's amp.

Thank you,

Mike

Update...

8 months in and I'm now on speaker number three for this amp. The stock V30 didn't excite me initially and I also wanted some weight relief so I changed it for Celestion V-type. After a while I realized the V-type wasn't the speaker for me. The amp has a lot bass on tap and I found the V-type a little too thick in the lower mids. On the blues and burn channel it seemed like I could never get rid of enough of the low end even with the bass control all the way down. The V-type is also quite crunchy speaker with overdrive, and missing some sparkle on the top of the cleans. After much listening and reading, a G12M Greenback is in there now and I really like it. I feel the Greenback helps control the bottom end and is less muddy in the lower mids than the V-type. The Greenback is also a little more scooped in the mids and and I like the additional high end for all sounds.

I'll add a comparison video on YouTube in the next week. If you feel you have and amp that's too bright and needs a little more weight in the lows, the V-type is a great choice. For this amp, I don't think so.

In other news, I still have not fixed any electronics issue (the amp sounds great as is but long COVID is a PITA and I just don't have the energy right now). The Contour control is now magically working though the Contour switching is not (the pot is always active no matter what the front panel switches do). At some point in time I'll get in there and replace the J175's, which I think will solve the problem, but I'm in no rush.

Second the Cannabis Rex. Tone Tubby Winterland and 40/40 also sound great and a little brighter than the CR.

If brightness is your issue, try turning treble way down, pulling down the high end on the EQ. Also consider how much power is being driven to the speaker. Speaker overall EQ changes as power increases.

Hello - old thread but thought I'd chime in.... I've swapped in a Celestion G10 Gold and it added not only headroom, but fixed a muddy wall the Black Shadow in it had previously at high volumes. The sparkle cleans are much better too. Expensive, but I think the perfect speaker for the 5:25 1x10.

Hello - old thread but thought I'd chime in.... I've swapped in a Celestion G10 Gold and it added not only headroom, but fixed a muddy wall the Black Shadow in it had previously at high volumes. The sparkle cleans are much better too. Expensive, but I think the perfect speaker for the 5:25 1x10.
Hello old thread,

My amp still has the Black Shadow. At this time I can't hear anything wrong with it. I can go from bassy to ice pick treble

But when i go to my music club. It does struggle to blend in.

My ToneKing is always a perfect fit. But I know the Mesa can be EQd to fit in. I think the problem is others playing straight into a PA with no pre amp or pedals. So they are too clean.

G

Latest posts

Back