Step-down voltage and outlet for cooling fan

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbq

Reaction score
Background: I have a Mesa Boogie Mk3 Blue Stripe simulclass/Class A combo. It has an in-built in Mesa Boogie voltage dial on the back where you can choose anything between 100 and 240 volts. I am in a country that has 240 volt power, so its obviously dialled to 240 volts. The unit is missing a cooling fan, but it has (US-Style) socket where I could plug the fan in.

Question: should I buy a 120 or 240 volt fan? I ask this question because its not clear to me whether the power socket in question is pre or post the inbuilt step down transformer. This question obviously reflects my current inability to read schematics or to really know all that much about electronics.

Also, any advice on what model of fan would be appropriate would be much appreciated (a quiet fan would be ideal) plus any advice on exactly where the fan should be mounted inside the unit (i.e. how many inches from the bottom of the cabinet) would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help/advice. I appreciate resources like this forum and the generosity of spirit that makes them work.

Back