SOB Headshells

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaymz

Reaction score
Hi all

I have two Son of Boogie long head shells that I want to confirm compatibility with other models. Does anyone know if the SOB "Long" (ie medium) headshell would fit any of the mark I - Mark IV medium heads?

Appreciate there was a change in mounting screw positioning on the short chassis from late Mark IIBs and onward but not sure how this relates to the medium / long heads?

Thanks in advance for any info

Post some measurements and I can tell you.

Inside width
Inside Height
Inside depth (bottom and top)

Mounting Screw spacing (L-R and Back to Front - measure the screws from center of screw to center of screw)

Joey1970 said:
I can't recall ever seeing ANY Mark I or Mark IIA long heads.

Doesn't mean a MkI or MkIIA "Big Brother" chassis couldn't be put into a long head headshell provided the mounting hole spacing is correct.
I've made more than a few long head (aka widebody) headshells that a MkIIA fit into quite "comfortably". ;-)

Thanks guys. Amps are with the techs now. Will post measurements once I have the shells back.

Ok so amps are back from the tech. These are the measurements I have taken:

Measurements I’ve taken are:

- Chassis length: 525mm / 20.6693"
- Mounting screw distance L : 495mm / 19.448"
- Mounting screw distance W :135mm / 5.31496"
- Distance from back mounting screws to end of front Lip : 170mm / 6.69291"

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAhw74

I didn't take height and depth as I the shell is the same height and depth as the rest of my mark heads.

Sorry for the decimal conversion, I'm not great with fraction in imperial, or at all for that matter.

Back