Closing combo back... too hot?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zappazapper

Reaction score
I have a .50 Caliber Plus 1x12" combo, which has an open back. I'd like to experiment with making a cover to close up the cavity in the back of the amp to tighten up the low end for higher gain tones, ie. punk/metal. Should I be worried that doing so is going to starve the electronics of ventilation and create an overheating issue?

I had one of those. They run way, way hot -- I wouldn't do it. You're better off getting a second cab which is closed. I used to run mine through a 4x12 with greenbacks sometimes and that was huge.

Thanks for the response.

I have a 4x12" Avatar cabinet with Vintage 30s that sounds incredible. I'm just looking for a solution for those situations where bringing anything more than just the combo is unrealistic, ie. small stages.

I'm considering a somewhat more complex approach, where instead of a single flat piece of plywood covering the entire cavity from the back, I would build something that encloses the speaker and the bulk of the volume of the box but leaves the electronics unenclosed and exposed.

Latest posts

Back