MKIV: Is there a replacement for this?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenAlleys

Reaction score
Rotary switch 5 way on the back of a Mark IV.
Is there a replacement for this or a substitute?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nw1mPHWjfFEMCyrH6

Also wth is going on here? Tubes are fine.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GM5MTFT73C4uwvW98

Please answer if you know.

Regarding the 5-way switch, can you see a part number on it anywhere? I know that there's not a lot of room to see anything in those amps, but maybe get a little folding mirror and see if you can get a number off it. I just checked the Mesa website and there were none listed for sale there. If you can find a number and post it here, I'd be glad to look it up online and see if there is a replacement.

Edit: As for your second question, after watching the video it seems like the problem is either a bad pot or a bad preamp tube, but it could also be a bad resistor or capacitor in the circuit. Does the problem only happen on the lead channel? Is this the only control that does this?

There's lots of options for replacing a 5 position single pole rotary switch. Just Googling or eBay searching the term yields lots of options.

The original switch should be marked somewhere. But as it appears to be falling apart I'd put something better in instead.

You want a "non shorting" five position single pole rotary switch.

I don't quite understand why people want to go to outside vendors for such repair part orders when Mesa stocks exact replacements. Sure, you can get them cheaper, but is it really worth the time and the risk?

HighWattGuitars said:
I don't quite understand why people want to go to outside vendors for such repair part orders when Mesa stocks exact replacements. Sure, you can get them cheaper, but is it really worth the time and the risk?

You know, not everyone is in the US. Mesa products and even spare parts have been non existing in Europe for the last couple of years.

I am very surprised to hear that authorized Mesa Factory Service shops are nonexistent outside of the United States. Regardless, Mesa repair parts will always be nonexistent to those who choose not to order them. Of course, there is no harm in asking around for direct replacements from local sources, however, when no clear options are found, as in this case, then I suggest going straight to the original builder. At the very least, contact Mesa before going to forums full of guys who aren't really sure and are only guessing. I don't know where Mesa sources all of their parts from, but if the situation that you describe is accurate, then it would be a reasonable assumption that Mesa would advise on how to purchase the part(s) directly from the original manufacturer or a local supplier. If that is not desirable to the customer, then Mesa does ship parts all over the planet. That's how their amps get there! I have ordered items directly from Mesa's Petaluma factory many times. The pricing may be a bit steep, but the parts are perfect replacements. 100%.
You know, not everyone is in the US. Mesa products and even spare parts have been non existing in Europe for the last couple of years.

HighWattGuitars said:
I am very surprised to hear that authorized Mesa Factory Service shops are nonexistent outside of the United States. Regardless, Mesa repair parts will always be nonexistent to those who choose not to order them. Of course, there is no harm in asking around for direct replacements from local sources, however, when no clear options are found, as in this case, then I suggest going straight to the original builder. At the very least, contact Mesa before going to forums full of guys who aren't really sure and are only guessing. I don't know where Mesa sources all of their parts from, but if the situation that you describe is accurate, then it would be a reasonable assumption that Mesa would advise on how to purchase the part(s) directly from the original manufacturer or a local supplier. If that is not desirable to the customer, then Mesa does ship parts all over the planet. That's how their amps get there! I have ordered items directly from Mesa's Petaluma factory many times. The pricing may be a bit steep, but the parts are perfect replacements. 100%.

While I don’t know how the op have gone about this, the point is that even authorized Mesa repair shops in Europe can’t get spare parts from Mesa right now. At least that’s what I was told by the authorized Mesa repair shop in Sweden. And Mesa won’t ship spare parts directly over seas, you’ll have to go through a Mesa dealer.
I don’t know if this has to do with Mesa having to renew some licensing for electrical safety regulations in the EU. I read something about that a while back.

I’ve sent 4 amps back to Mesa for service/mods so I know all about their excellent costumer service. I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with them. This is probably just a temporary inconvenience that has to be sorted. Last I heard there were no Mesa products to be available in Europe until early 2023.

Ah, okay. That's a lot more than I was aware of. Thanks for apprising me/us of the current situation. Hopefully, these support issues will soon be worked out. Customers are paying good money for Mesa amps, and should not have to endure such difficulties when it comes to servicing and maintaining them.

Ah, okay. That's a lot more than I was aware of. Thanks for apprising me/us of the current situation. Hopefully, these support issues will soon be worked out. Customers are paying good money for Mesa amps, and should not have to endure such difficulties when it comes to servicing and maintaining them.
Mesa themselves have run out of almost all of their Mark IV parts, for almost a year now. The past two years have seen so many people buying them up and then sending them in for repair. And the parts themselves haven't been made in well over a decade now, so all the NOS is finally drying up, sadly.

Hearing that makes me feel lucky that they were able to accommodate my needs back when I repaired mine. For any current or future needs, it kind of looks as if we are on our own when it comes to sourcing compatible parts.

Hearing that makes me feel lucky that they were able to accommodate my needs back when I repaired mine. For any current or future needs, it kind of looks as if we are on our own when it comes to sourcing compatible parts.
Completely agree, and it's got me more than a little stressed out, because my Mark IV hasn't been serviced I think ever (I'm its newest owner). At least not properly. So far switches and everything more unique to the amp are fine, it needs caps and resistors checked/replaced, but still I need to get on it. Suffice to say I'm removing anything and everything I can that's irreplaceable before I ship it out (knobs, etc.)

I would check the bigger radial brown caps on the pre-board. If they are 10k uF and they haven't been changed get er done ASAP. They leak and mess up the board and from what I've heard petaluma is done with the disaster ones.
If they are 8200 uF you can breath easy.

Back