EL34 MK IV Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lights Out

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I want to try EL34's in my MK IV as I have some NOS Mullards , Seimens etc... in storage .

As Im looking for a bit more of a crunch in R2 and a bit more classic "grit" to the tone
I would like to use the tubes I have sitting around , rather than buy more tubes

What will work better with the MK IV , colder lower milliamp tubes or ones that run hotter ?

Im not a super tech guy but I had the tubes tested years ago with different milliamp values written on them Im sure I have a few matched pairs
some of the Seimens ran quite hot If I remember right

Yeah I know the MKIV runs on the colder side , thats what got me thinking using slightly hotter EL34's would be safe ?

Your guessing. I'm guessing based on your guess. I'm not going to give advise based on speculation.

Your vintage tubes are expensive. A pair of new EL34 are not expensive.

I have about a dozen Mullard xf2. I would not put them in my Mark IV as cheap as a new pair of EL34 cost.

LOL
I have had a box of NOS tubes sitting around for 15 years
Im in my 50's now .
No point in having them if I never used them Who knows how the live music scene is going and how many good years of gigs I'll get in 8)

The EL-34s that I have for my MK IV A (SED winged C & New production Tung-Sols) are listed at 29 ma.

The highest I ever put in was at 43ma with no issues, but upper 20's is the norm.

Hopes this helps.

swbo101 said:
The EL-34s that I have for my MK IV A (SED winged C & New production Tung-Sols) are listed at 29 ma.

The highest I ever put in was at 43ma with no issues, but upper 20's is the norm.

Hopes this helps.

Thanks Mate
That is the answer I was looking for !

Back